All About Android 106
From The Official TWiT Wiki
Guest: Aaron Newcomb
Topic: The HTC One, hints of an Android game center, Facebook brings free VOiP to Android, and breaking news of Jason's baby.
Recorded: April 23 2013
All About Android 106: Breaking News Baby!
- The ACLU filed a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission against Sprint, T-Mobile, Verizon, and AT&T, naming two major problems with the phones they sell and control. First, that by delaying or denying software updates for Google’s Android mobile operating system, the ACLU says carriers have left consumers open to malware, bugs, and exploits. Secondly, the ACLU alleges that carriers have deceived customers by not informing them about the security risks present in their own custom-made versions of Android. The ACLU’s goal is to force the major carriers to warn consumers that their carrier-controlled Android devices pose security risks, and allow consumers to exchange or return their phones. In its complaint, the ACLU writes that carriers "have failed to warn consumers that the smartphones sold to them are defective, that they are running vulnerable software, and that other smartphones are available that receive regular, prompt updates to which consumers could switch.
- App Annie: Google Play app revenue grew 90% in Q1 2013, but Apple’s App Store still saw 2.6 times more sales
- AppAnnie Index report: Q4 2012: Apple’s Apple Store 4x sales of Google Play. Q1 2013 2.6x. - Google Play has reached close to 90% of the App Store’s downloads in Q1 2013, but iOS still leads in revenue - games are biggest rev driver in US, China, Russia, Japan, and South Korea. In Q1 2013 was 80% of revenue in Google Play and 70% in the App Store. - iOS: Photo & Video apps are #3, Education apps #4 worldwide - Google Play: Social now in top 5 category - top 5 Google Play countries (by download): US, South Korea, India, Russia, and Japan. top 5 iOS: US, China, the UK, Japan, and France.
- Google leak hints at an Android game center with multiplayer, chat, lobbies, leaderboards, and achievements
- Google Games, Anyone? Play Services Is Getting Real-Time And Turn-Based Multiplayer, Invitations, In-Game Chat, Lobbies, Leaderboards, And Achievements!
- The Glass team accidentally shipped the full suite of Google Play Services with their new app, which is not normal. This included a never-before-seen backend for an extensive multiplayer gaming service, with just about every gaming feature you could possibly imagine.
- Sam from Cleveland: Making an old Android device useful again
- Jason's G+ post on the topic
- Lifehacker article with the solution
- Our guest Marquez Brownlee described this technique in AAA ep #102
- LG Spills The Beans - May 1st Event In NYC Will Debut The Optimus G Pro For The US
- AT&T Galaxy S 4 Pre-Orders Ship April 30th, Available In Stores April 27th Because Planning Ahead Is For Losers
- AT&T's online purchase page for both the white and black 16GB Galaxy S 4 now states the device will ship on April 30th in no uncertain terms. The in-store date comes courtesy of AT&T's official Twitter account. This is only for the 16GB. A 32GB version is expected at a later date. UPDATE: Some early pre-order folks are saying their devices are supposed to arrive on the 25th. It might only be newer pre-orders that are going out on the 30th.
- In FB Messenger app: tap the "i" icon on a friend's profile and then select "free call." In Home/Chat Heads, tap the "more info" dots next to a friend's name to jump into the Messenger app.
- Facebook Voice Calling Now Available To All US Users Thanks To Today’s Android Rollout
- Facebook Messenger gets Sticker support
- New malicious apps found in Google Play
- Google releases One Today app, making it simple to donate to great causes
- Minuum Keyboard Finishes Its Indiegogo Campaign With A Staggering 873% Of Its Initial Goal, Android Beta Coming In June
- TweetDeck will stop functioning, be removed from Google Play on May 7
- Holo Cheat Sheet for Designers
- Last Week's Poll
- Gina - Notification Weather (Free, Pro upgrade $1.02)
- Ron - Sliding Messaging Pro ($0.99)
- Aaron - The Room ($1.99)
- This Week's Poll
- Ad Time: 28:30
- Edited by:
|This area is for use by TWiT staff only. Please do not add or edit any content within this section.|