All About Android 114
From The Official TWiT Wiki
Topic: Learning Android development, Incognito for app permissions, device performance declines, Cloud Print, and more.
Recorded: June 18 2013
All About Android: Android by the Beach: 114
- Steve Kondik aka Cyanogen posted on G+ to tease an upcoming feature for the popular Android ROM: Incognito Mode on an app to app basis. In essence, the user can activate Incognito Mode for an app in order to block that app from receiving data the user deems private enough to not share. Want GPS on but don't want to broadcast that info with an app? Here ya go. No clue when it will be released but expect it in the future.
- Cyanogenmods founder is giving android users their privacy back
- One year later, the Nexus 7 has gone from the best to the worst tablet I've ever owned
- The Nexus 7 was heralded as one of the best tablets to hit the scene last Summer. Not one year later, people are changing their tune. Dustin Earley wrote about how his has slowed to a crawl with performance taking a huge hit over an extended period of time. Lag, touch responsiveness, stuttering UI… Reddit user KalenXI put it well: "All flash memory has a limited number of erase/write operations that can be done before it can no longer be reliably read. And as the IO controller has to do more and more error correction to compensate for the increase in error rate your read rate goes down." And went on to posit that garbage collection isn't happening properly. KalenXI continues "flash memory must be empty before it can be written to. … Garbage collection is supposed to go through and empty sectors that are no longer in use but if it's not doing that then it increases the write time because it has to erase whatever is on the memory first before it can be rewritten.
Interview with Bill and Brian
- Book is based on the first five day class at Big Nerd Ranch. Java is a prerequisite for the lessons throughout this book. What is the best way for someone to tackle that prerequisite? Lessons learned while writing this book? Biggest takeaway for new developers interested in Android? Explain the methodology for teaching someone how to code for Android. How have some of the new announcements at this year's IO affected what and how you teach at Big Nerd Ranch?
- 4.2.2 Galaxy phone 16MP point-and-shoot 10x optical zoom lens (first for a phone) 4.3-inch qHD display, 1.5GHz dual-core CPU 1.5GB RAM 8GB of internal storage (expandable via microSD slot) 1.9MP front facing camera. optical image stabilization, a Xenon flash A special "Zoom Ring." when twisted (even while on a call) launches in-call photo sharing Photo Suggest shows great pics taken by others in the area Smart Mode auto settings Release to US and in Q4 2013.
- Huawei launches the Ascend P6, the world’s slimmest Android smartphone with a 5MP front-facing camera
- Huawei today officially launched the Ascend P6 after teasing it back in May, and touting it as the World's slimmest Android Phone. 6.18mm thick 1.5GHz quad-core processor 4.7-inch high definition display 5MP FFC 8MP RFC 4.2.2 2000 mAh battery €449 (around $600) Launch in China this month, Western Europe in July. "Other markets" to follow soon.
- @evleaks on Twitter has a pretty great track record when it comes to publishing leaked info on unreleased hardware. And so, you can judge whether to believe the following information surrounding the Moto X phone: 720p touchscreen display, 1.7GHz dual-core Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro processor (MSM8960), 2GB of RAM, 16GB of storage, 10-megapixel camera, 2-megapixel front-facing camera and Android 4.2.2 Jelly bean Dual Core? 4.2.2? Does it matter?
- Print from any compatible Android device to any printer connected to Google Cloud Print, and see the status of any print job.
- Cloud Print
- Falcon Twitter client hits token limit again, new update resets keys
- Skype takes video messaging out of 'preview' status
- Dragon Mobile Assistant update brings intelligent driver mode, email dictation, and readback notifications
- Voice-activated "assistant" app * Driver Mode Auto Detect - Dragon automatically switches into Driver Mode when traveling is detected * Added Email dictation capabilities - use your voice to create an email (finally!) * Auto Readback of Facebook Newsfeed and Notifications activity
- Last Week's Poll
- Ron - Wordkick (FREE)
- Bill - Expedia (FREE)
- Gina - Blendoku (FREE)
- Brian - Silvercar (FREE)
- Jason - Pocket Tanks (FREE/$4.99)
- This Week's Poll
- Ad Time: 32:00
- Ad Time: 47:35
- Edited by:
|This area is for use by TWiT staff only. Please do not add or edit any content within this section.|