All About Android 13
Guest: Jason Appelbaum
Recorded: June 20, 2011
Published: June 20, 2011
All About Android 13: Remodeling Homescreens With Launchers
Developing for Android versus iOS, Google Nexus 4G, launcher apps galore, and more.
- Jason Appelbaum ( )
- Mika Mobile: Dev of Battleheart comes clean about developing for Android versus iOS
- Battleheart on sale for a few weeks.
- Good: No approval process, resulting in instant updating of bugs/issues/incompatabilities.
- Revenue for paid apps is very strong, within 80% of iOS counterpart.
- Android users have a hunger of high quality apps and are willing to pay for them.
- Bad:Support is a nuisance, as the dev is the point of contact so has to contend with unending support e-mails ranging from download and installation issues (market problem, not dev), to a wide variety of devices/ROMs.
- Google Checkout is the only way to conduct business, making the dev solely responsible for ALL communication and transactions related to refunds.
- Marco Arment: Creator of Instapaper picks Android tabs apart
- Ars Technica reviewed the Galaxy Tab 10.1 and Honeycomb 3.1. This is a response to that review.
- "Will consumers REALLY nothing a 2% thickness difference or the 6% weight savings over IP2?"
- “The Tab is a reasonable choice for people who watch a lot of video, as long as it’s all pirated, because there’s almost no legal content available.”
- Developers come, generally, when at least two of these three criteria are met:
- Developers themselves use and love the platform’s products.
- The platform has a large installed base.
- Developers can make decent money on the platform.
- The gadget reviewers seem to believe that it’s only a matter of time before these theoretical developers rush into the Android-tablet market with tons of high-quality apps. But time isn’t the problem. If these tablets continue (not) selling at their current pace, the reviewers (and the unfortunate few early adopters who bought these things) will be waiting forever.
- Developers will rush to Android tablets once a lot of people are buying Android tablets. But hardly anyone will buy them if there’s too little compelling software available.
Big hello from down under!
Well I was going to write in and ask you about changing the language on my phone I imported from the UK. Its a Desire HD and its working great. No issues at all, other than it thinks I'm in the 'UK' all the time. This is related to the Language being set to English (UK). Many many moons ago I downloaded an application that let you change the language to any other Language, as English (Australia) isn't listed on the UK ROM. This worked well for a longtime, but I did a hard reset after getting gingerbread on my phone and now I can't find the application!
I was hoping you guys could help me out? But I had one of those strange google sessions and found it, so rather than waste an email I thought maybe you should share this with, as some of your listeners might find it helpful. If you download MoreLocale 2 from the market, you can change your phones locale to others not listed in the language dropdown box.
My phone now things I'm back in Australia when I do a google search or a map search.
Thought this tip might be handy for others who have imported a phone from overseas.
- Exclusive: Google Nexus 4G detailed – 720p display, 4G LTE, Android 4.0
- a next-generation dual-core 1.2GHz or 1.5GHz CPU, display is said to be a 720p HD “monster-sized” screen, and it won’t feature physical Android menu buttons below the screen, a 4G LTE radio, 1GB of RAM, 1080p HD video capture and playback, a 1-megapixel front-facing camera, and a 5-megapixel rear camera. The 5-megapixel camera, however, is said to be an advanced 5-megapixel sensor delivering class-leading image quality in addition to superior low-light performance. The Google Nexus 4G will run Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich)
- Anonymous: I want to root my Atrix 4G, what should I know beforehand?
- How to root Atrix 4g with Super One click
- Just make sure your battery is fully charged before you begin the process. Root will wipe your system clean (not your SD) so move anything you want to keep to SD before the root.
- Also, Atrix 4G has a locked bootloader which more or less means currently, no way to install new ROMs. However a beta port of the 2nd-init program which has been used on other devices to bypass the bootloader to allow custom ROMs is being tested on the Atrix and working so far. Though this workaround wouldn't allow full access such as Kernal flashing abilities.
- Atrix Devs Get Major Victory with 2nd-init Beta
"Good day triple A, I am not sure if you guys have mentioned this music app on your show. It's called Fede's music app (JH: now called Ubermusic) and it looks like windows phone 7 phone music player. It is in the alpha stage but it is very good. You can find it on this web site http://www.ubermusic.com
love the show Kind regards
- Last Week's Poll
- This week's face-off: Launchers!
- Ron - Regina 3D Launcher - FREE
- Eileen - Go Launcher EX - FREE
- Jason - ADW Launcher - FREE
- This Week's Poll
- Netflix -2
- ad times: :21-:37 and 26:34-28:12
- braintoniq.com offer code TWIT
- ad times: :37-:50 and 53:59-54:41
- Edited by: Jason
|This area is for use by TWiT staff only. Please do not add or edit any content within this section.|