All About Android 168
From The Official TWiT Wiki
Guest: Ron Amadeo
Topic: Android Version L, Material Design, Android Wear, Android TV, Android Auto, Project Tango, Carboard, and more.
Recorded: July 1 2014
All About Android 168: Patch Tuesday
- Version L: How to Install the Android L Developer Preview on Your Nexus 5 or 7
- Version L: in pictures
- Material Design: how Google discovered what software is made of
- Getting Android on any and all screens.
- Material Theme
- Improved animation capabilities
- 3D views, realtime shadows
- Activity transitions and shared "hero" elements
- Material Design: The Smart Problem-Solving Behind Android’s Awesome New Design Language
- New notifications style: Google Demos New Notification Style in L With Smart Organization, Heads-Up, Personal Unlocking, And More
- Security: Numerous Enterprise-Related Security Enhancements Are Slated For The L Release, Including Samsung KNOX Integration
- Security: Android “L” will include Factory Reset Protection (kill switch) and Universal Data Controls (privacy) to enhance security
- Volta and Battery Saver: Google announces Project Volta & Battery Saver to vastly improve battery life on Android
- Enterprise: Google Splits Up Your Android Phone for Work and Play
- Search: New Mobile Search Experience Unveiled, Looks Amazing
- Multitasking: The New "Document-Centric" Multitasking Interface Finally Makes Sense
- Multitasking: Android L Will Allow Chrome Tabs And Other Apps To Fill Multiple Recents Slots With New API
- ART: “L” version of Android to drop Dalvik, introduce new Android Runtime with better performance, graphics
- Lockscreen: Notifications take over your lockscreen, are more actionable in Android L
- Audio: Audio Improvements in Android 5.0 L
- Other: The Coolest New Features of Android L Google Didn't Announce
- What’s New in Google Play Services 5.0?
- Google Play Services 5
- Wearables compatibility
- Play Games (Saved games across devices, Quests for event-based challenges, Game profile for experience points.)
- App indexing API for deep content retrieval in search
- Dynamic Security Provider (security patches via Play Services now)
Android Wear/G Watch/Gear Live/Moto 360
- Android Wear Expands With Full SDK And Awesome Syncing Capabilities
- Android Wear smartwatches make Google Glass obsolete
- Asus Aiming For September Launch And Price Advantage For Its Android Wear Smartwatch
- Android Wear, Auto, and TV save you from skins, and OEMs from themselves
- The Elephants At Google I/O: Glass And Plus
- Related: Google Fit Platform Promises More Accessible Fitness Data, Multiple Partners Have Already Signed On
- Competitor to Apple Health Kit: view, control, collect fitness data
Android Auto Android TV and
- It works by plugging your Android device into a car, no wireless support yet.
- Finding and playing music on your car stereo.
- Voice control.
- Larger buttons for easy operation.
- Google Maps support.
- The Open Automotive
- Alliance includes 28 different car makers.
- Supposedly on sale before the end of the year.
- Gina and Jason test driving Android Auto
- Chromecast To Get Live Screen Mirroring, Casting From Other Networks, And Google+ Photo Galleries Soon
- Sharing content with a TV on a different Wi-Fi network is now possible.
- Chromecast ready screen will be able to stream your own photos.
- Chromecast will be able to mirror your phone screen on a TV.
- Google Knowledge Graph enabled
- Search and watch apps, games and content on your TV. At least in the Google Play ecosystem (for now).
- Voice search enabled
- Multiplayer games between Android TV and other Android devices.
- Chromecast support
- Sony and Sharp will be releasing supported devices next year.
Chrome OS and Android
- In Android L, the redesigned app switcher shows native apps as well as active web tabs. Every web tab has the same value as an app.
- Google is expanding its App Indexing API to all Android apps. For example, when you search for a movie in Google, there could be a deep link in the search results that will open the IMDb app on this exact movie page. It’s a seamless transition from the web to a native app.
- Android Apps, More Google Now Cards, Notification Mirroring, And Automatic Unlocking All Coming To Chrome OS
- Early demo: Android apps running on a Chromebook - specifically Evernote, Flipboard and Vine, in portrait phone mode and landscape tablet mode
- The app was able to tap into the laptop's webcam just as it would on a handset
- Android/ChromeOS notification mirroring ala Pushbullet where you see incoming texts and calls and low battery alerts on ChromeOS
- Android unlocks ChromeOS when it's nearby
Everything Else from IO
- Android One
- Google Nexus Line Not Going Anywhere, Will Live Alongside Android Silver
- LG is making a Google Project Tango device for 2015
- Google Acquires Mobile Testing Platform Appurify, Will Keep It Open On iOS And Android
- Appurify will stay open as freemium cross-platform service but get a big boost in distribution as it becomes integrated into the Google developer tool stack.
- Appurify’s big value add is helping developers handle fragmentation. It permits wide-scale testing on a big range of gadgets, so devs can catch bugs and other performance issues on devices they can’t test on themselves.
- Last Week's Poll
- Gina - Wikipedia (FREE)
- Jason - Stitch (Stay in touch) (FREE)
- Ron A - The World Ends With You ($17.99)
- Ron R - Sleep Cycle Alarm Clock ($1.99)
- This Week's Poll
- Ad Time: 32:21
- Ad Time: 55:25
- Edited by:
|This area is for use by TWiT staff only. Please do not add or edit any content within this section.|