All About Android 32
Guest: Michael Ludden
Topic: Google TV update, AT&T Skyrocket, HTC Vivid, Dolphin HD security breach, a phone that's not just for the ladies, and more!
Recorded: October 31 2011
Published: October 31 2011
All About Android 32: Skyrocket... In Flight?
- Michael Ludden
- htc Dev (TM)
- Google TV updated to Android 3.1, adds apps and Market
- The New Google TV: 4 Demo Videos Including Looks At The New Apps
- Android fragmentation gets visualized infographic
- Editorial: Fun with ‘fragmentation’ charts (or, why you shouldn’t be distracted by shiny objects)
- Previous guest and Editor of Android Central wrote up this opinion piece that does a good job balancing the approach taken with this infographic. "Once again, low-end phones are placed on a level playing field with high-end devices. It is going to make for a lopsided chart. And it has, again and again."
- HTC releases OTA update to patch security hole for all Sprint devices
- HTC has released the first wave of OTA system updates to Sprint phones that were affected by the HTC logger vulnerability we discussed a few episodes back. I know that the Thunderbolt received an upgrade to Gingerbread and I'm hoping the fix is rolled into that as well.
- AT&T Announces Its First LTE Smartphones, The Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket And HTC Vivid
- Marginally related (to Eileen's SGSII): ICS on SGSII Q2 2012
- LG DoublePlay Launch Date Revealed for November 2nd On T-Mobile
- Droid 4 leaked
- The Droid 4 has leaked! The popular Motorola/Verizon slide-out keyboard phone has a fourth version caught in photos with a little bit more of the same, design-wise. Supposedly a 4inch Super AMOLED Advanced screen, an illuminated keyboard, and running 2.3.5 Gingerbread. And what hot new Verizon phone would even show it's face without 4G LTE capabilities. Speculation has this releasing sometime before the end of the year.
- Dolphin HD, an app featured on previous episodes, has been outed in a security breach that exposes the URLs for every page loaded to the maker of the app. The transmission of URLs was being used to match against Dolphins 300+ sites that utilize the Webzine format, and the URL was not stored on Dolphin's servers. They say that they will be using HTTPS for this functionality in the near future. In the meantime, an updated version of the app fixes this issue, so update now if you haven't already!
- G+ App update
- What's in this version:
- Completely new app and new visual design
- Battery life improvements
- Navigation and performance improvements
- Significant notifications improvements
- Brand new posting UI
- Several bug fixes
- Support for Google Apps users
- Ability to sign out
- Add people to a circle from circle profiles
- Widget is gone, no link previews, still no ability to +1 comments
You read an email that the guy was asking to retrieve his contacts and you explained how to clear his contacts. the way you read it was that he was not syncing the contacts to gmail but then added a gmail account and the contacts disappear. as a note NOT all contacts are always uploaded. There is actually a Phone contact list that is not synced anywhere so in clearing the contacts storage he may have wiped it all out. To view the phone contacts go to your contacts app and press menu -> settings -> View and you have choices for several different address books Google accounts, SIM, and Phone.
On cyanogen roms it is not there but I know I have helped customers with it when they put the contacts in the wrong address book. you are then able to select which books are visible/accessible. My guess is that when he added a google account it made the standard phone contacts not visible. so he just needs to export them from the phone and import them to google account. I hope this helps before he clears it.
Michael C. Richman
- Last Week's Poll
- This week's face-off: Grab bag
- Jason - Ivona Text-To-Speech HQ(FREE beta until Nov 15)
- Eileen - Circle Launcher - $1.00; Lite version for free!
- Ron - MXPlayer Video Player (FREE)
- Michael - Minecraft Pocket Edition ($6.99)
- This Week's Poll
- Ad Time: 24:23
- Ad Time: 56:35
- Edited by:
|This area is for use by TWiT staff only. Please do not add or edit any content within this section.|