All About Android 63
Topic: Galaxy S III review, Toshiba Excite 13 preview, tons of ASUS news, Instapaper, and more.
Recorded: June 11, 2012
Published: June 11, 2012
All About Android 63: What is a Tablet Watch?!
- Andy clears up the rumors!!!!!
- He's not leaving google. "Cloudcar are a group of friends who I give free office space to in my incubator in Los Altos," - the rumor was started by Scoble, who said that he plans to leave for a Los Altos startup.
- He also takes the opportunity to announce that 900,000 new Android devices are now being activated daily worldwide.
- Google I/O schedule set
- Google I/O sessions
- Famous judge spikes Apple-Google case, calls patent system “dysfunctional”
- A trial between Apple and Motorola Mobility regarding four patents including swipe to unlock was scheduled to begin today. Judge Richard A. Posner surprised everyone by announcing last week his tentative decision to dismiss the case based on a lack of evidence that either sides claims actually harmed the other party's bottom line. In other words, the claims of BOTH sides of this case are to blame and a prime example of what he says is part of "a dysfunctional patent system…" He will issue a formal opinion sometime this week.
I love listening to your show! I've had my HTC Evo 4G (my first Android phone) for about 6 months and I love it! The one exception to my love being that my phone's internal storage keeps filling up way too fast. I have a 32 gb memory card where I store my photos and music and as many applications as I can. However the vast majority of apps that I use regularly can not be moved to the SD card. I've deleted all of the phone storage only apps that I never use (besides the dreaded bloatware that can not be deleted) and moved all that I can to the SD, but my phone still is saying, about twice a week, that my storage is full. Then I am forced to uninstall updates and/or sacrifice another app I like if I want to continue to receive my emails on my phone. What else can I do? Please help!
- Take a good look at what apps you *really* use. I found when I was new to Android, I loaded and kept EVERYTHING. Turns out I rarely used most of that. Force yourself to peel back. -JH
- AT&T - (June 18th)
- Verizon ("by" July 9th)
- Sprint (Officially set for June 21st)
- T-Mobile (Officially set for June 21st)
- US Cellular (pre-orders begin June 12th)
- DropBox Confirms Galaxy S III on AT&T and Verizon Will Not Reap the 50GB Reward
- Samsung holding Galaxy S III event June 20
- Why Samsung's U.S. Galaxy S III has a dual-core processor (and why you shouldn't care)
- Jessica Dolcourt:
- The Exynos 4 quad-core processor is application only and doesn't bundle the LTE radios, requiring extra components that result in battery size/drain and physical design tradeoffs. The Snapdragon S4 fits all of that one one unit. Not to mention the performance benefits of double memory.
- ASUS reveals ‘Next Transformation’ as the Transformer AiO, a dual-booting Windows 8 / Android 4.0 desktop PC
- Computex: Asus Transformer AiO, an all-in-one desktop PC powered by an Intel Ivy Bridge processor that runs Windows 8 when docked. When removed from the base, it becomes an 18.4" tablet capable of booting into (dun dun DUHHHHH) Ice Cream Sandwich!
- Get your Padfone, the phone that docks INTO a tablet, for a measly $859.50 in the US! It's an imported international version courtesy of Negri Electronics, and will likely be less expensive when it releases state-side. But early adopters can act now! Google Tablet Watch!
- Rumored Press Images of Google’s Nexus 7 Tablet Leak, Android 4.1 Jelly Bean Reported By Another Source
- Exclusive: ASUS representative confirms the Google tablet, Padfone and Pad Infinity LTE coming to AT&T
- An ASUS representative, who wished to remain anonymous, told Android Authority during COMPUTEX that the Google tablet will come by the end of June.
- Sony And Logitech Google TV Devices Receiving Updates Right Now To v.2.1.1 And Honeycomb 3.2 Respectively
- New Google TV box will feature Android 4.0, AirPlay-like streaming
- OnLive's E3 blowout includes new games, easy in-browser access, MultiView and LG's Google TV
- Toshiba Excite 13 preview
- 13.3" display at 1600x900, 2.2lbs, Tegra 3 quad-core processor, 1GB RAM, full-size SD slot, HDMI, USB, ICS, WiFi only 32GB $650, 64GB $750
- RELATED: Dual Core Processors Wasted on Android, Intel Claims
I was just listening to your show Episode 62 and thought you needed to know that the voice recognition is mainly for us blue tooth users. If you have a headset, (I know you are dead set against) all you have to do is hit the button on your headset and state a command. I never have to touch the phone mounted on my dash (Love Velcro lol)
I know you all hate accessories but with an A2DP headset and the Sony watch, you don't need to pull out your phone almost ever. For uber geeks this is the best
- "I think it was the success of the Kindle Fire and the Nook that tipped my hand," Arment told us (Engadget).
- So, he entrusted the Instapaper name to developer Mobelux, which has previously built Tumblr for iPhone and Android, as well as Carousel, a handsome Instagram viewer for Mac.
- Google Maps to allow for offline viewing
- Google Earth to get radically better 3D images, new UI on iOS and Android
- Google Maps and Navigation is about to get even better. Offline maps is about to finally makes its appearance, allowing you to cache the maps for a particular location for use when you might not have data connectivity. You simply select the region to store, and the app will tell you how much space is needed for those files.
- Rumors are bubbling that point to Sprint preparing to launch their own NFC offering called Touch sometime this Summer, pitting them against Google Wallet and Isis among others. Google Wallet launched last September and was first to market in the digital wallet space, but hasn't captured much momentum. Sprint is currently the only service offering support for Google Wallet, so this would be quite the hurdle.
- Google Acquires Quickoffice - Let The Productivity Wars Begin
- Update: Chameleon Homescreen Kickstarter Cancelled, New Pledge Drive Coming Soon
- Last Week's Poll
- Eileen - Relaunch (Free)
- Ron - Clipper (FREE)
- Jason - HD Contact Photos (FREE/$1.97)
- This Week's Poll
- Ad Time: 21:36
- Ad Time: 1:01:03
- Edited by: Jason
|This area is for use by TWiT staff only. Please do not add or edit any content within this section.|