All About Android 71
Guest: Jessica Dolcourt
Topic: Crisis of Design, profile switching, Calendar events in Google Now, Galaxy Note 2, and more.
Recorded: August 7 2012
All About Android (71): (Commuting to the Living Room)
Samsung Apple case
- One week into the Samsung Apple trial and one things for sure. This is one difficult trial to summarize shortly. And both sides are having good and bad moments. So how about a few highlights?
- First, Samsung's "Beat Apple" strategy documents are being revealed and among some of the evidence Apple is presenting is an icon comparison by Samsung where they explicitly say "Remove a feeling that iPhone's menu icons are copied by differentiating design."
- Also bolstering Apple's side is a Samsung memo now being dubbed the "Crisis of Design" memo where JK Chin, Samsung's head of mobile communications specifically writes "when our UX is compared to the unexpected competitor Apple’s iPhone, the difference is truly that of Heaven and Earth. It’s a crisis of design.”...“I hear things like this: Let’s make something like the iPhone.”
- On the other side of the coin, Samsung is claiming that Apple destroyed evidence including "product comparisons and admissions that should have been preserved and produced for Samsung's use in the case."
- Samsung is also noting that carrier requirements to differentiate devices is a big reason why Samsung's claims of uniqueness with their devices should be valid, with over 100 different types of devices on the market.
- Samsung gives apple the boot in defense
- Android’s Multiple User Accounts Shown Off On Video – All But Confirmed For Future Versions of Android
Code has been discovered in Jelly Bean that hints strongly at a future version of the OS introducing Profile switching capabilities. This would enable a device to carry different settings, apps, and customizations for different users, similar to modern OS's like OS X and Windows. An XDA post by zanderman112 details how this can be done, even in its current unfinished code state.
Eileen asks, How do you make a calendar event in Google Now?
A: Cory Teague said on G+...
"Unfortunately you can't. But you can text a calendar appointment to your calendar. Add the google calendar text number to contacts then use google now say text calendar and you are set."
From Google Calendar help: "Send a text message containing your event's details to the shortcode "GVENT (48368)."
Patrick Boake also points out: Among other restrictions, SMS to G-Cal only works in the US.
- XBMC getting early access to OUYA console for development
- Only a few hours left on OUYA Kick starter
- It’s Official: The Samsung Galaxy Note 2 will be unveiled at Unpacked on August 29th
- Samsung launches Galaxy Note 10.1; 4G LTE version later this year
- Samsung will pay you up to $300 for your phone
- Jason's review of the ASUS Transformer Pad Infinity
Hello Android fans!
Did you see the Raspberry Pi people are putting the last touches to an Android port. Yep, (Ice Cream Sandwich on the Raspberry Pi. With Plex already out for the Android, and XBMC being developed - could this be the cheapest media steamer ever? :)
- Google pulls plug on Google Listen app
- Now might be a good time to check out the NASA app for Android
- Google tweaks policy, all Google Play apps must use Google’s payment system
- Google Play Developer Program Policy Receives Update – See Ya Shady Ads, Spam and Deceptive Apps
Google sent out an email to developers detailing a number of changes to the policies around Google Play. Some notable changes affect spam and ads, as well as payments:
" ⁃ We’ve added clearer details to the payment policy, and guidelines on how we will handle cancellations in our new subscription billing feature ⁃ We are restricting the use of names or icons confusingly similar to existing system apps in order to reduce user confusion ⁃ We are providing more detail on the kinds of dangerous products that are not allowed on Google Play. For example, apps that disclose personal information without authorization are not allowed. ⁃ We are giving more examples of practices that violate the spam policy." Also, any apps distributed via Play MUST use Google's payment system, including for in-app purchases
Hey AAA crew,Just got an Sprint Galaxy S3 and I notice when I use the Google Music app, somehow it is seeing the podcast I have downloaded using pocket casts. How can I make it stop! When I am listening to my music on shuffle, all of a sudden a podcast will play. I love pocket casts for my pod-casts, but when i want music, i only want music. Do you know of a way to stop Google music from searching my phone for MP3 files? BTW this never happened with my 2.3 HTC EVO Thanks!
- Last Week's Poll
- Eileen - Song Pop (FREE, Paid $1.99) Premium Features!
- Ron - Lemon Wallet (FREE)
- Jessica - Slices for Twitter (FREE)
- Jason - Sixaxis Controller ($1.99)
- This Week's Poll
Ad time 20:10
- Edited by:
|This area is for use by TWiT staff only. Please do not add or edit any content within this section.|