All About Android 90
Guest: Mauricio Balvanera
Topic: A look back at Android in 2012, Facebook improves, Amazon phone rumors, a big announcement, and more.
Recorded: December 18 2012
All About Android (90): (I Am the Walrus)
- Mauricio Balvanera
- Apple loses bid for permanent ban on Samsung phones in U.S.
- Samsung loses bid for new trial after Apple's $1B verdict
- No injunction as Apple wasn't able to prove infringement has caused irreparable harm. - has not "established that either the ’915 or the ’163 patents actually drive sales of any Samsung products. " - Koh was sympathetic to the "trade dress" claim but none of the products are ont he market anymore - Apple will likely ask for injunction on appeal, but not likely Separate order: No retrial over jury foreman Velvuin Hogan - Not clear that Hogan intentionally concealed or even knew of a relationship between Seagate and Samsung - Pointe dout Samsung didn't inquire much about Seagate during jury selection
Judge Koh still must issue a ruling on damages.
Best of Android 2012
Later, the Nexus family (4, 7, 10)
Android/iOS app parity - there yet?
- Amazon smartphone reportedly in production, set to go on sale in mid-2013
- Foxconn reportedly manufacturing Amazon smartphone
A new report from Taiwan Economic News points to Foxconn manufacturing the as-yet-rumored Amazon Android phone mid-2013. The device is said to hit the $100-200 price range when it releases. No word whether that is to be the unsubsidized price or not.
- Taiwan Economic News says that Amazon has ordered 5 million handsets from Foxconn - The Amazon phone would launch in Q2 or Q3 of 2013 and cost $100 to $200 at launch - Back in July, Bloomberg reported Amazon was planning a smartphone
- Sony's Upcoming 'Yuga' Bears It All For The Camera - Packs A 5" 1080P Display, S4 Pro, 2GB RAM, And A 12MP Rear Shooter
- Galaxy Note III rumored with 6.3-inch display
Hey Jason, Ron, & Chad.
I just listened to episode 89 were you discussed the Nabi 2.
After getting them (two Nabi2's) home and playing around with them, I was impressed! The kid ui is locked down nicely and pretty snappy when playing some of the preloaded games, ie angry birds . The camera was a little weak,but adequate for a Skype session. But best of all, after putting in a password for "daddy mode" it unlocks the limited ui and turns into a regular android tablet. My only challenge now is figure out how to load the play store. They removed it and replaced it with the Nabi app store. But being a fan of rooting & romming my other Android devices, I should be able to figure it out. Additionally, I was impressed with the bumper case and the robustness of the tablet with case removed. I think my parents are going to out do Santa this year. :-)
- Google's cloud-based music-matching service has arrived... and it's free
- Facebook for Android goes native, boosts performance and improves scrolling
- Facebook: Discover New Places with Nearby
- Major Google+ app update launches, including new photo + event features
- Google Zeitgeist 2012
- Last Week's Poll
- Jason - Naught ($.99)
- Mauricio - ÜberConference (FREE)
- Ron - Slice Keyboard (FREE Demo / 4.99 app)
- This Week's Poll
- Gina Trapani, host of TWiG, creator of ThinkUp, and developer of Todo.txt for Android, will be a regular host on AAA starting Tuesday, Jan 8, 2013!
- Ad Time: 28:00
- Edited by:
|This area is for use by TWiT staff only. Please do not add or edit any content within this section.|