All About Android 93
Guest: Tony Hannides
Topic: New hardware from Sony and LG, state of car audio and Android, our must-install apps for new phones, and more.
Recorded: January 22 2013
All About Android (93): (Way to Virago, Google)
- Tony Hannides
- Sony's Xperia Tablet Z announced: 1.5GHz quad-core, 10.1-inch 1,920 x 1,200 screen and 6.9mm thickness
- 10.1" 1920x1200 screen, quad-core 1.5GHz Qualcomm processor, 2GB RAM, 32 GB interal storage, 8.1MPT camera, NFC, LTE, microSD, "S-Force" virtual surround sound, 6000mAh battery (smaller than normal 10.1" battery spec) Thinnest tablet at 6.9mm thick Lightest tablet at 495g Waterproof and dustproof
- Android: version 4.2 Jelly Bean Official name: GALAXY Note 8.0 (3G, Wi-Fi) Product codes: GT-N5100, GT-N5110 Battery: 4600 mAh Dimension: 211.3×136.3×7.95 mm , 330 gram. Display: 8.0”1280×800 TFT (Super Clear LCD) GSM networks: EDGE (850/900/1800/1900) HSPA+21.1Mbps, HSUPA 5.76Mbps (850/900/1900/2100) Camera 5 Megapixel (BACK) Camera 1.3 megapixel (FRONT) RAM + Storage: 2GB (RAM) + 16/32GB (optional) + microSD (up to 32GB) Connections: BT 4.0, USB 2.0, Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n, A-GPS
- Early Details Emerge For Samsung’s Galaxy Tab 3 Lineup
- LG joins the 5-inch 1080p party with Optimus G Pro
- quad core 1.7GHz snapdragon pro, 2GB ram, 1080p display (440ppi), 13MP camera, 3000 mAh battery, android 4.1 Release on NTT Docomo in April, possible wider release details unveiled at Mobile World Congress next month.
- Wild Rumor: Motorola X Phone to Multiple Carriers, Sold Cheaply in Google Play, and Unlockable on Verizon
Okay, Jason Howell and Ron Richards, (Hi, Gina Trapani!).
It's been a year. Where are we with car audio that integrates with Android? Any improvements or... anything?
We've got an Audi with a cassette deck and it's hurting my feelings.
- Parrot Asteroid: They have their own marketplace which is often limited and support could conceivably vanish at any time.
- Supports MHL and HDMI app mirroring. requires a $120 Android connection kit. Also requires you install their own keyboard app so the device can control your phone.
- They tout "Complete mirror and control of your Android powered devices. " Compatible Android phones: Motorola: Droid Razr Droid Razr Maxx Droid Bionic Droid x2 Droid 4 Droid Razr Maxx HD Samsung: Galaxy Note Galaxy Note II Galaxy SIII Epic 4G Touch Galaxy Nexus HTC: EVO 4G LTE
You had a viewer looking for a way to define a word, in Jellybean I simply swipe up, and say "Google, define (insert word)" depending on the word, you get other info such as is it a noun or verb, showing it used in a sentence, and synonyms plus links to a few dictionary sites if you need more.
Its time we embrace the awesomeness of Google Now!
Ron From Texas
Hello Jason, Ron and Gina,
Please don't sleep on the Archos TV connect. Let me explain....
I am an early adopter to Google TV. It's lack of rooting ability and not a proper SDK for developers has hampered growth in the geek community. I understand why Google would want the device locked down at first hoping that the TV industry allows streaming from the Google TV device. At this point if they haven't allowed streaming, I don't think it'll change. Why not open up the SDK, allow rooting and get this device rolling with developers.
With that said, I have been using XBMC on a raspberry pi and this is exactly what Google TV should be.
With that being said, XBMC doesn't work on Google TV (SDK issues) and the Archos TV connect would allow XBMC to work. A release candidate has been released for android and it works pretty well.
Free my Google TV!
- Unofficial Build of XBMC for Android Allows HD Playback, Includes a Friendlier Interface
- Related: First Official CyanogenMod 10.1 Nightly Shows Up For The Nexus Q
- Opera Ice coming to Android in February with WebKit functionality
- 1Weather gets an upgrade AAA #45 Arena competitor
- Tasker too!
Top 5 favorite apps for a new phone
- Last Week's Poll
- Ron - QM Launcher ($4.99)
- Tony - Plague Inc (FREE)
- Jason - Super Hexagon ($.99)
- Gina - Simple Dialer Widget (FREE)
- This Week's Poll
- Edited by:
|This area is for use by TWiT staff only. Please do not add or edit any content within this section.|