FLOSS Weekly 119
Guest: Scott Maxwell and Paolo Bellutta
Recorded: April 28, 2010
Published: May 6, 2010
- Scott Maxwell, NASA/JPL Mars Rover Driver Team Lead
"I've used Free software since I discovered Unix around 1990. I wrote a Linux kernel book (Linux Core Kernel Commentary) in 1999 and use Linux and other Free software extensively -- indeed, almost exclusively -- at home and at work."
- Paolo Bellutta, Mars Rover Driver - JPL/NASA
- I'm one of the MER drivers. Rover Drivers are responsible for moving the rovers and placing the instuments of the ropver arm, called IDD (Intrument Deployment Device) on scientifically interesting targets.
- Prior to working on MER I did machine vision SW development for robotics and medical applications.
- I have been mostly a user of Open Source SW since, well, when that was the only source!
This link has quite a bit of information on our rovers, mostly on the HW side:
This one is a paper that describes part of the flight software:
This is the JPL web site for the MER mission:
Questions from the audience
- Drobo #6
- ad times: 0:39-0:54 and 5:54-8:06
- Edited by: Tony
|This area is for use by TWiT staff only. Please do not add or edit any content within this section.|