Frame Rate 110
Recorded: January 28 2013
Frame Rate 110:
The Big Story
- Star Wars VII: JJ Abrams to direct
- Star Wars is being kick-started with dynamite J.J. Abrams
- J.J. Abrams on His "Wildly Surreal" Star Wars 7 Ride
- Lucasfilm postpones Star Wars Episode II and III 3D, focusing on Abrams-directed Episode VII
Another Big Story
- Netflix CEO Reed Hastings thinks he can win the video subscription war
- Netflix ends year on a high note, calls House of Cards “defining moment for Internet TV”
- Netflix streaming most dominant on HDTVs, more than double PC and tablets
- How Netflix built its own set-top box, and why Reed Hastings wouldn't release it
Yet Another Big Story
- New 'Girls' and 'Enlightened' episodes available on HBO Go to sidestep Super Bowl scheduling
- RIM reveals every TV broadcaster, film studio and music label that is on board for BlackBerry 10
- Japan Planning To Broadcast 4K TV As Soon As 2014
- Global TV platform Viki widens its reach with Amazon Instant partnership
- French broadcaster TF1′s second-screen mobile app will let you instantly replay live TV
- The story behind DIAL: How Netflix and YouTube want to take on AirPlay
- Apple TV software update adds Bluetooth keyboard support
- CEA sides with Dish, says 1984 Betamax ruling covers Hopper DVR
- Hulu and iTunes will share new episodes of 'One Life to Live' and 'All My Children'
- YouTubers hit the big screen for documentary Please Subscribe‘s theatrical release
- Memorex, a 50-minute odyssey through the VHS generation
- My Damn Channel seeks original comedies for its new online video network
- Big Bang Theory' star creates TV show about real prodigies
Winter Movie Draft
Brian Brushwood wins the Winter Movie Draft by only 4 million.
What We're Watching
- Brian Brushwood: Portlandia, The Reward
- Tom Merritt: Archer, Fringe, Futurama, Top Chef, Twin Peaks, Arrow, The Following
Just finished watching FR 109, and after listening to Ian's feedback about Dr. Who fans I realized something: While I understand that feeling when people jump on things I love, and how I hate it because they don't love it the way I do, and I was there first, and how dare they... Even happens to me from time to time. BUT, I don't feel this way about Firefly (as an example) AT ALL. I bought two copies of Firefly just so I could hand out the series to friends, all because I wanted them to see this awesome thing. I still don't know why there is a difference and I do unabashedly love this series. But there is a decidedly different feeling about it. Is there anything out there that you just love to share with others because it is awesome, and you think they should have it in their life?"
I agree with both your points regarding the Machinima story last week in terms of what both parties should have done. I wanted to give another angle though, having worked with Machinima on several occasions. While much of the talent that Machinima recruited already developed large audiences before they were hired, Machinima does quite a lot for them as well. Through these advertising deals, these film makers and producers get access to things they normally couldn't get on their own. For example, they can get early access to a video game or get a private advanced screening to a film as part of an advertising program. Through these deals, they also get invited to industry and marketing events, including SDCC, E3, etc. and get substantial budgets (funding) to do some pretty creative work. Additionally, as part of a larger advertising program, Machinima also drives a lot of traffic to these custom videos, which only brings in more fame and fans for these film makers. There’s much more of a symbiotic relationship than what the complainers let on.
Personally, I still have to echo Brian’s argument that those who sign with Machinima (or any corporate entity) need to remember that basic premise of fully reading one’s contract before signing. One should always look before they leap, no matter how bright that pot of gold looks.
- Ad Time: 24:05
- Edited by:
|This area is for use by TWiT staff only. Please do not add or edit any content within this section.|