Frame Rate 146
Topic: Netflix Is Not Coming to Comcast, TWC, J.J. Abrams and Lawrence Kasdan taking over as writers of 'Star Wars: Episode VII', and more.
Recorded: October 28 2013
Frame Rate 146:
The Big Story
- Comcast bundle ties HBO, local TV and internet together for just $40 per month, at first
- Netflix Is Not Coming to Comcast, TWC
Another Big Story
- Netflix to Expand Into Original Movies, Will Double Spending on Originals in 2014
- Netflix in talks for third season of 'House of Cards'
- IMAX buys stake in Prima Cinema, promises higher-quality theatrical releases in your mansion
- Netflix Flirts With a New Idea: “Big” Movies at Your House, the Same Day They’re in Theaters
- J.J. Abrams and Lawrence Kasdan taking over as writers of 'Star Wars: Episode VII'
- The first Captain America 2 trailer is star-spangled awesomeness
- DirecTV, Time Warner consider Aereo-like service, report says
- Some Disney and Pixar movies pulled from iTunes Store, report of deletions from Apple TV (Update: Disney confirms, Vaulted iCloud movies)
- Netflix captures all eight seasons of Dexter, streaming (and screaming) begins on Halloween
- Hulu Finally Brings Free Videos To Mobile – But It’s Just Clips, And Only Works In The Browser (For Now?)
- Walmart’s VUDU And Sony Pictures Introduce Online Extras For Digital Movies
- Aereo arrives on Android
Winter Movie Draft
- 1 Casey McKinnon: $206,918,407
- 2 Jeff Cannata: $77,759,013
- 3 Tom Merritt: $36,461,359
- 4 Justin Robert Young: $32,055,177
- 5 Brian Brushwood: $29,504,336
- 6 Fr. Robert Ballecer: $0
What We're Watching
- Brian Brushwood: Nothing
- Tom Merritt: The Walking Dead, Haven, Top Chef, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Homeland, 2013 MLB World Series
I think Brian has a point about YouTube's copyright infringement procedures. The unintended consequence of an extra-legal procedure might be that content owners are more likely to flag videos as infringing just to get them taken down regardless of the merits of the use of the content. Perhaps, if a content creator waives their right to the YouTube process and claims an affirmative defense of fair use for criticism, parody, etc. the content owners would be less likely to file an actual DMCA takedown because they will need to review the video for the actual use of the content and truly determine whether they want to make that claim and take the content creator to court. YouTube had to implement the content ID functionality to get big business content owners off their case but in doing so they may have made it too easy for content owners to take down videos without proper review.
Thanks for the great show,
Peter Dinklage grow up around me in jersey. His mother was my wife's music teacher.
One of his first roles in this indie flick called The Station Agent was filmed in my home town of Rockaway NJ.
P.S. I have story about a shaving cable. I had Comcast and downgraded my channels to just broadcast, so no AMC or SyFy. I found out that I still had access to all the FREE On Demand channels. Even thou I couldn't watch Walking Dead on AMC but I still could on On Demand for free. I don't know if this was glitch in the system because I had full cable then changed. It work until I change to Fios a year later. Thought you guys might think this was interesting.
This may be my new favorite thing about the Chromecast! I discovered that when a block of ads starts to play on Hulu Plus if I switch from casting to my phone and immediately back to casting.....it will resume the show without ads. Simply repeat this at each ad block throughout whatever you are watching. It takes only about 10 seconds and badda bing....Hulu Plus with no ads! Try it and see. And I suppose.....enjoy it while it lasts? What do you think?
I have listened to Frame Rate now for years and heard you guys discuss this season. I went out and hoovered up the Graphic novels and bided my time with the finger on the Itunes Checkout button yearning for the Ghost of Apple past and the AMC Grinch to soften a little finally Vudu and my digital time machine came through and ""click"".
Now - just this very minute - I finished Season 3 after waiting for it to come down to a reasonably satisfactory (though still unsavoury) price.
I think this was the BEST SEASON EVER how could you not believe that.
Shame on you Tom for disparaging Brian from watching it it held me right through, wasn't to mushy angst-ey as Season 2. Still had a religious problem and so much gore, but brilliant!
The only beef I had was with all that gore and zombie guts how come its only biting that infects you why isn't like Ebola or even HIV where a scratch and any fluids will do it? I get the idea that everyone is infected and on death but not living infections.
Regards and Cheers
p.s. My apologies for any sins against the Gods of Grammar and Spelling as my enthusiasms exceed my abilities.
- Edited by:
|This area is for use by TWiT staff only. Please do not add or edit any content within this section.|