Green Tech Today 8
From The Official TWiT Wiki
Recorded: November 1, 2010
Published: November 1, 2010
Green Tech Today 8: Solazyme
Top 25 Green Tech Innovators Series: Growing algae to produce renewable oils.
- Using Algae to replace petroleum.
- It creates a basic substance that can be turned into anything that petroleum or vegetable oil.
- Growing in the Dark
- Don't grow the algae in sunlight with them doing photosynthesis.
- Feed them plan material from other plants (weeds, cellulose, etc) and use that to grow oil.
- Commercial Uses
- Jet fuel to cosmetics.
- Once a good strain is found, build up more of it to test out
- Waste from a Bio-Diesel plant
- Yard clippings
- Scaling Up
- Biggest challenge is getting the good strains out of the lab and into commercial production.
- A team dedicated to just scaling up.
- Food Tech
- One strain is similar to olive oil
- They had accidently created a new, very healthy type of cooking oil
- GE-video 3
- ad times: :30 - :56 and 8:58 - 9:54
- Carbonite.com Offer Code GreenTech
- Carb #3
- ad times: :56 - 1:13 and 19:23 - 20:16
- Edited by: Jeff
|This area is for use by TWiT staff only. Please do not add or edit any content within this section.|