IPad Today 33
Recorded: February 17, 2011
Published: February 17, 2011
- 1 iPad Today 33: Apple vs. Publishers: Which Apps Will Suffer? Belkin 360, Pennant, Airsketch, Super Soviet Missle Mastar!
- 2 Sponsors
- 3 Production Information
iPad Today 33: Apple vs. Publishers: Which Apps Will Suffer? Belkin 360, Pennant, Airsketch, Super Soviet Missle Mastar!
Sarah and guest host Scott Johnson talk through Apple's new publishing rules, a Belkin 360 & Airsketch for the classroom, Pennant for baseball fans, Super Soviet Missle Mastar for all!
Leo Laporte was on leave and away for this episode
So, That Happened
- "Our philosophy is simple — when Apple brings a new subscriber to the app, Apple earns a 30 percent share; when the publisher brings an existing or new subscriber to the app, the publisher keeps 100 percent and Apple earns nothing,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “All we require is that, if a publisher is making a subscription offer outside of the app, the same (or better) offer be made inside the app, so that customers can easily subscribe with one-click right in the app."
- Apple's subscription model - evil!
- Some publishers are ok with it
Today's Theme: Publishers Affected By Apple's New Rules
- Wired Magazine A free app but each issues costs you and you pay for it through the app.
- Nylon Magazine Takes you out of the app and Apple misses out on the revenue.
- Comixology "The only iPhone/iPad comic platform that has Marvel, DC and The Walking Dead. Purchases made can be read on the web, too, at comics.comixology.com!" claims Comixology.
- Adobe Ideas Lets you draw but extra features are paid for through the app store.
iPad Today Stars of The Week
"In episode 31 you mentioned that you get comments from users about the app price being different from your show. I thought I'd tell you about a great website I use to keep track of apparently in the app store. Its www.appshopper.com. it tracks the price changes of any app in the app store so you can see the cheapest price its ever been in the past etc. The best feature is tracking apps that are paid but changed to free.
- Steve Dickie
Divine Child High School
- Belkin 360 and Airsketch demonstrates using the iPad as a tool for writing directly to the screen in a classroom.
App Cap Award
- Pennant "Pennant is an interactive history of baseball like none other seen before. Using Pennant's rich interface fans can browse and view data from over 115,000 games that have taken place from 1952 to 2010. Seasons, games and events are graphically represented in a clear, easy to interpret manner that takes them beyond the numbers."
- Super Soviet Missile Mastar "Greetings Comrade! Mother Russia requires your fingers to swipe across glass screen in rapid succession. Dodge fighter jet, birds, helicopters, and democracy; In this highly addictive, highly inappropriate game by makers of Castle Crashers. Da!"
- SB 6
- ad times: :46 - 1:01 and 27:44 - 29:56
- Edited by: Sarah & Jeff
|This area is for use by TWiT staff only. Please do not add or edit any content within this section.|