MacBreak Weekly 269
From The Official TWiT Wiki
Guests: Ken Ray
Recorded: October 18th, 2011
Published: October 18th, 2011
- 1 MacBreak Weekly 269: Good Vibrations
- 1.1 Hosts
- 1.2 Guests
- 1.3 Topics
- 1.3.1 iPhone 4S Sales
- 1.3.2 iPhone 4S Siri
- 1.3.3 iOS5/iCloud
- 1.3.4 Apple TV and iOS5
- 1.3.5 Steve Jobs
- 1.3.6 Battery Draining Quicker on iOS5? (http://pixelcorps.force.com/pixelcorps)=
- 1.3.7 Wi-Fi Sync? (http://pixelcorps.force.com/pixelcorps)
- 1.3.8 iOS Tip
- 1.3.9 Lio Tip
- 1.3.10 Picks of the Week
- 2 Sponsors
- 3 Production Information
MacBreak Weekly 269: Good Vibrations
iPhone 4S is out, Siri, Mac OS Ken joins us, and much more...
- Leo Laporte ( /Google+)
- Andy Ihnatko ( /Google+)
- Alex Lindsay ( /Google+)
iPhone 4S Sales
- LL: Were we wrong thinking it was just a minor upgrade? It's the most sales ever.
- AI: With smart phone sales there are so many factors that play in.
- It might have been just the perfect storm and perfect time to launch it.
- 4 Mio. is simply too many to think it's just Siri that caused this.
- KR: 75-77% apparently were upgrades.
- I'm curious to see what they say about the sales on tonights earning calls.
- I'm wondering if we've seen records sales across the last quarter.
- AL: A lot of the ones I talked to switch from the 4 to the 4S because of the camera and Siri.
- Chatroom: You guys just don't understand how people buy phones.
- KR: I'm not eligible for an upgrade yet, so I personally wait.
- LL: It's under-clocked at 800 MHz and it's not that much faster than the 4.
- AI: Except the camera. It really feels faster.
iPhone 4S Siri
- LL: How about Siri.
- AL: In only 4 days I can't be without Siri now.
- I only text with Siri now.
- It's like using Dragon software. You can use punctuation.
- LL: The subtle fit and finish that Apple puts on their products is enough for me to choose Apple over something else.
- But it is much more specific.
- AL: By staying more focussed on few features it is just making it more stable.
- LL: And it's only available for the 4S, but why not on the iPad
- I don't think that there is a technical reason that they can't
- I believe it will be available eventually for the 4 and the iPad 2
- KR: Some were saying that the microphone has something to do with it only to be on the 4S
- LL: Was the Siri app as good as Siri on the 4S?
- AI: My understanding is that there is nothing that was put into the 4S that would make it special for Siri.
- The more I use Siri I think it was specifically designed for small devices like the iPhone
- It might come out on the iPod Touch before it comes out for the iPad 2.
- KR: But isn't it the beginning of starting to talk to your computer and therefore be usable for all devices?
- AL: It is frustrating that it is only available on the phone at the moment.
- KR: It's only been out for 5 days. Give it some time.
- LL: How do you all use Siri?
- AL: I use it for dictation because I'm used to Dragon
- I'm disappointed that it doesn't work with Twitter
- I also don't like that it cuts me off when I have to think for a second
- AI: I love that it is so handy.
- I have the phone sitting next to me and whenever I have a simple question or a task to remind me of I can do it right away.
- Disappointment is that it is sometimes not very clear how to ask. It's just not exactly like talking to a person.
- KR: It makes me hate my iPhone 4.
- AL: Apple is big on quality control and we only see a very, very early version of Siri.
- KR: It's also about building trust for Apple with the consumer.
- So when they finally introduce something new people already have a base line.
- LL: What makes Siri great is the intelligent database behind it
- It was a great move from Apple to include Wolfram Alpha
- Do you guys think that this is when we'll look back and say this is when we started talking to computer.
- AL: Don't you think that because Siri has so many funny responses it makes it more personal.
- LL: Love the notifications. Something Android has done for a while.
- You do need to spend some time tweaking the settings, so you don't get too many notifications.
- AL: I struggled for 6 hours with iCloud
- I don't think I lost anything, but I also merged everything and had to clean it up later.
- The number one complaint is: you can't delete individual photos in your photo stream.
- KR: I agree. I sometimes take several photos to get the best shut. Do I want to keep this for the next 1000 photos. Not really.
- AI: Camera Plus has its own private photo role and then you can choose what you want to export to the general photo role.
- AL: It think there are things that Apple will fix sooner or later.
- LL: I'm using VisiCal and it is really hard to update to iCloud
- Maybe I need to give up VisiCal and move to iCal
- LL Is iCal the best calendar app?
- AL: Certainly not, but what I hate even more is Mail.
- I use it but I really don't like it.
- LL: Is this a walled garden?
- AI: It really depends what you need. For most people it might be OK.
Apple TV and iOS5
- AL: Wall Street Journal is really bad.
- They should take it off and regroup.
- KR: I love watching Hockey live.
- And Wall Street Journal is not really live.
- What I like is that there trying something new.
- LL: It's tough to be a cord-cutter if you don't have live
- So this is great step into the right direction.
- KR: I can also use AirPlay to mirror my iPad on it.
- LL: There will also be a memorial at Apple tomorrow
- And there's been a public memorial with post it notes on Apple stores around the world
Battery Draining Quicker on iOS5? (http://pixelcorps.force.com/pixelcorps)=
- LL: I didn't find any difference.
- AI: I have been noticing less battery
- And I do think it has to do with all the iCloud services
- I serves to investigate options in regards to what features need to be on and can be turned off.
- KR: Don McAllistor reset something on his phone and battery life apparently was better
Wi-Fi Sync? (http://pixelcorps.force.com/pixelcorps)
- KR: You need to be plugged in to a power source for it to work
- LL: And you need your computer and iTunes on.
- LL: There is a custom vibrate feature
- Go to your settings, then accessibility, then custom vibrations and turn it on
- AL: You can also create your own vibrations.
- LL: Another great tip is that Emojis can be turned on as well.
- Once turned on you can go to messages and use it.
- AI: ???
Picks of the Week
- KR: Animoog, $0.99
- AL: Airport Utility Configuring Your Airport Stations, free
- AI: Meta Maus A Book by Art Spiegelman, $35
- LL: Mophie Juice Pack More battery life for your iPhone, from $79.95
- [http://www.ford.com/technology/sync/ Ford Sync) Wi-Fi connectivity from SYNC with MyFord Touch
- GoToMeeting (offer code: macbreak): Safe money by meeting from the comfort of your home/office.
- Audible.com/Macbreak You can get a free book by signing up. You can keep it forever even if you don't choose to stay with Audible.
| Animals in Translation: Using the Mysteries of Autism to Decode Animal Behavior by Temple Grandin , Catherine Johnson (UNABRIDGED)|
Narrated by Shelly Frasier
- Edited by:
- Shotes notes: Jean-Marie Schweizer (Bushgeek)
|This area is for use by TWiT staff only. Please do not add or edit any content within this section.|