MacBreak Weekly 273
From The Official TWiT Wiki
Guests: Sarah Lane,Don McAllister
Recorded: November 15th, 2011
Published: November 15th, 2011
MacBreak Weekly 273: iTunes Mismatch
iOS 5.1, iTunes Matche, and more...
iTunes Match: A game-changer for digital music?
- LL: I'm already having some issues with it.
- I was listening to music on my iPhone that is not on my iPhone
- SL: The deal is that with iTunes match, it will remember your original metadata
- Even if you download the new 256bit version it will not overwrite your metadata
- LL: Maybe we should wait. It's only been out a day.
- AI: I jumped into because I'm leaving in 2 days.
- I have a small library, about 800 songs, and it worked fine, but with some issues.
- It's really smart to wait for a few weeks like with everything that Apple brings out lately.
- DM: There won't be many people outside of the US that will have iTunes Match, because you need an US credit card.
- LL: What I'm concerned about is not streaming, but if I wanted to download everything.
- I just don't want anything deleted that hasn't been match correctly.
- Our advice at this point would be to move slowly.
- Now, my iPhone is unresponsive. Maybe it's the >8000 songs I have in my library.
- AI: It's not really streaming though, I believe
- LL: So it'll download the song that I want to listen to and keep it?
- AI: I'm not sure if it is exactly like that. I've seen it in earlier version but I am not sure if it works like that now.
- SL: Maybe there is a small cache that keeps a few songs and then pushes the oldest one out when a new one comes in.
- I don't really care how they do it, as long as my devices don't slow down.
- LL: My iPhone is still stuck, now for 1/2 hour.
- Additionally, I have to hard restart quite a bit lately since iOS 5.1
- To make a point: None of these songs that I'm playing now are on my iPhone, they are only in my iTunes Library on my computer, but it starts playing instantly.
- (Leo is looking for the song Open Arms)
- SL: Is there no search feature?
- AI: Maybe Apple is not confirming that it is streaming because of licensing issues.
- LL: What's our advice then?
- SL: If you have a very large library, you might be better off to wait.
- AI: There's been a lot of products introduce by Apple that just don't have that Apple like feeling anymore.
- It's often confusing and we have to deal with these little problems.
- And it's telling that we have to say nowadays that it's better to wait until Apple figures it out.
- LL: Also, the cloud idea is relatively new. We all need to get used to it.
- SL: Another problem are AppleIDs. I'm using a different AppleID for my iPad than for my other iOS devices.
- LL: What's the limitation on how many devices can be synced via the cloud? Is it 5 computers or 5 iOS devices.
- DM: I think it's 5 computers but no limit to iOS devices.
- SL: Chatroom rays it's 10 iOS devices.
- LL: Andy, do you think, people should wait?
- AI: Yes, they really should wait until these kinks are worked out.
- It's mostly a case of waiting until the server load has slowed down a bit.
- In two weeks time it's going to be a much smoother transition.
- LL: The chatroom didn't cry out too much, didn't they?
- Somebody says, they had no problems with 6000 songs.
- Some are waiting, some others are OK as well.
- iTunes Match is only in the US for now
- DM: It'll come out later internationally
- How do people find out that there was a match mistake?
- I have over 12000 songs and I'm just not able to easily find out which matches are incorrect.
- LL: What about wanting to listen to a song offline?
- Can I download a song specifically?
- SL: It's an interesting question.
- Some people really care about having the actual files.
- Others don't care and prefer just downloading it whenever.
- AI: What I like about the Kindle Fire is that it shows me what is online and what is local.
- It's when things happen automatically, you loose the connection to what exactly is happening.
- LL: I'm concerned about which copy is relevant, which one is the master copy, which aren't.
- Be careful, save your library.
- AI: I agree, you really need to make sure that you have a backup of your library that is out of reach of iTunes, iCloud, anyone. That's more important than ever.
Amazon Kindle Fire
- LL: Kindle Fire, $199
- The reason why we talk about the Fire on a Mac show is because it…
- It feels really snappy, especially the browser
- AI: I don't agree with some reviews comparing it to the iPad
- I don't think it's meant to compete against the iPad
- The interface, I wouldn't call it snappy. It is a little bit sluggish.
- LL: It's nice to see some Android apps on it.
- AI: It comes with about 3 or 4 apps around music.
- The really spent some time to weed out apps that don't really work with the Fire.
- They are constantly adding apps. They are working hard on it.
- LL: It's a full Android device, isn't it?
- AI: It's a full Android device, but it has been modified for the Fire environment.
- I spent so many years buying music and books from Amazon, that I really appreciate having the seamless integration.
- The magazine's really don't convert well to a 7" screen. It really needs some custom design.
- LL: It's a more device than expected
- It's only WiFi at the moment. Maybe 3G is coming soon
- AI: They haven't announced anything about 3G just yet.
- Also, epub is readable as well.
- LL: How is the Silk browser?
- AI: I did a lot of tests around turning the cloud acceleration on and off. I couldn't find a difference to any other browsers out there.
- The browser connection is secure, so there shouldn't be any issues with using a public WiFi.
- LL: The Fire does feel a bit clunky, almost like a Blackberry Playbook.
- AI: It is a different device though (shows on schreen)
- The comparison to the iPad is obsolete. It is a different device for a different market, and they can co-exist next to each other quite well.
- SL: The price is really attractive, but then again, there is really not comparison to what Apple app store can offer.
- DM: I think people buy the iPad because they think it fits into their lifestyle, but with the Fire it's more a niche product.
- AI: The big advantage it has, it is a Kindle. Everyone thinking about an eBook reader thinks of a Kindle. That's an advantage.
- SL: The Fire is more of a service than a device. It integrates greatly into the Amazon universe.
- LL: It's a portal
- Notice, that it plays Flash.
Flash Is Dead
- LL: One Adobe manager is claiming Apple to be at fault for the death of Flash.
- SL: He doesn't say anything new though.
- LL: I feel bad for Mike Chambers, because he spent the past 12 years developing mobile flash.
- He's sure there will be jobs lost over that.
- AI: There needs to be a lot that needs to go their way in order to save Flash.
- I'm glad it's dead because it gets rid of all these unnecessary flash sites out there. No longer do we have to waste our time watching a hand moving in to light a candle before we can access the menu in a restaurant.
- I don't Apple so much credit for killing flash, but I do give them credit for pushing HTML 5 in order to make it possible to run apps smoothly on all devices.
- LL: And I also don't see it on the desktop anymore.
- AI: Netflix is running Silverlight.
- LL: And Microsoft is thinking about killing Silverlight.
- DM: It's a bit far stretched to say Apple is responsible for Flash's death.
MacBook Pro Air?
- LL: MacBook Airs are hugely successful, 25% of all laptop sales.
- DM: The Pro does suggest more power and expandability. It'll be interesting to see what will come out.
- I used my MacBook Air 11", 256GB SSD, top processor and I was doing work with Final Cut Pro on it and aside from rendering I was quite happily working with it without problems.
- AI: It's a tougher sell on the PC side.
- If Apple says we are selling you a laptop for $999, we're all excited
- But you get a little laptop for $400 and that is a big difference.
- LL: For the Pro thought, we need some Pro stuff, don't we?
- AI: The only two things people tell me about they really need is a rack for more drives and a slot for special interfaces and accelerators.
- Apple's response is that that all will be available with thunderbolt.
- We'll see what the Mac Pro is going to look like
- I can see that Apple keeps the design and just does processor upgrades.
- DM: The problem with the Mac Pro is that it is over-engineered.
- Everything has to be there, fans, power supply, etc.
- Once you have all the expansion devices in a black box via thunderbolt, we really don't need the big box anymore. It would all fit in a mac mini.
OS X Lion Adoption Rate Slow
- LL: Only 16% adoption is very low. What does that mean?
- DM: It's hard to believe it's only 16%.
- I know that some people are upset about some of the changes in Lion.
- I'm just not sure about what the issue is.
- AI: A lot of users can't just upgrade to Lion directly. They have to upgrade to Snow Leopard first.
- LL: Maybe Lion is Apple's Windows Vista.
- SL: It took me forever to get going with the upgrade.
- But once I've done it, I was really happy.
- DM: Some people are a bit upset about removing Save As…, but there are some work arounds for that.
iOS 5.1 Issues?
- LL: I'm having a lot of problems after installing 5.1 on my devices.
- AI: My experience is that it has improved.
- DM: I also have good experiences with the upgrade.
- SL: I'm not having any issues.
Tips & Picks
- SL: Mail is archiving emails by default.
- You can change that by going into your mail settings, choose the account and set your archive settings to off, then the default will be delete instead of archive.
- AI: In Finder when you hit CMD+N you get a new finder window.
- If you go into your finder preferences, you can choose the default for that new window.
Picks of the Week
- DM: Miro Video Converter, for easy conversion into different formats, free
- SL: foursquare, now in your browser, free
- AI: Pixelmator 2.0, affordable photo editing, $29.99
- LL: Jawbone Up, Fitness Recording Device, $99
- GoToMeeting (offer code: macbreak): Safe money by meeting from the comfort of your home/office.
- Gazelle sell your used gadget
- Smile Software (try it for free for 30 days): PDFpen, PDFpro, Text Expander, etc.
- Edited by:
- Shotes notes: Jean-Marie Schweizer (Bushgeek)
|This area is for use by TWiT staff only. Please do not add or edit any content within this section.|