MacBreak Weekly 277
From The Official TWiT Wiki
Guests: Alex Lindsay, Andy Ihnatko
Recorded: December 13th, 2011
Published: December 13th, 2011
- 1 MacBreak Weekly 277: The Lips Are Pointed The Wrong Way
- 1.1 Hosts
- 1.2 Guests
- 1.3 Topics
- 1.3.1 US calls for ban on in-car phone use... even with Bluetooth
- 1.3.2 AT&T/T-Mobile Saga
- 1.3.3 Samsung Ads against Apple
- 1.3.4 Samsung is now selling tablets in Australia
- 1.3.5 User Interface Wizard Slams Kindle Fire, Calls It 'Disappointingly Poor'
- 1.3.6 Radio Shack to offer $30 discount on iPhone 4S and iPhone 4 starting Sunday
- 1.3.7 Apple Seeds iOS 5.1 Beta 2 to Developers, Enables Photo Stream Photo Deletion
- 1.3.8 Apple Releases iTunes 10.5.2 with iTunes Match and Audio Distortion Fixes
- 1.3.9 Apple Founding Documents Sell for Nearly $1.6 Million
- 1.3.10 Apple Bumps Free Holiday Shipping Offer Up to 2-3 Business Day Delivery
- 1.3.11 Apple rumored to buy flash memory company for $500 million
- 1.3.12 Apple Mac Store breaks the 100 million download barrier
- 1.3.13 'iTunes Rewind' Highlights the Best of 2011; Instagram, Tiny Tower Win Best of Year Awards
- 1.3.14 Steve Jobs biography is Amazon's bestselling book of 2011
- 1.3.15 Apple's New Campus Will Put On A Spectacular Show Every Year, Starting On Steve Jobs' Birthday
- 1.3.16 Le Web 2011
- 1.4 Tips & Picks
- 2 Sponsors
- 3 Production Information
MacBreak Weekly 277: The Lips Are Pointed The Wrong Way
Distracted driving, Spectrum, ATT and why the new iPhone won't be out next year, and much more...
US calls for ban on in-car phone use... even with Bluetooth
- LL: We should ban fast food too.
- AI: The things are really are truly distracting are like texting, etc. are leaving bread crumbs and in case of an accident records could show if there was a distrection.
- AL: My father is a lawyer and he said too, the first thing you do is get the records.
- LL: Smoking is still allowed.
- AI: You should say that any time you reach over to touch a button on your phone you are distracted.
- AL: I don't know what anyone would do in LA if that would be a reality. So many people use their phones while being stuck in traffic.
- LL: I think chances of congress to pass this is next to none, especially in election year.
- [searching for auto accidents deaths on Google]
- US ranks 4th in auto accidents death worldwide.
- China had 250 000 automobile death in 2002 (US over 45 000)
- India 199 000
- [http://www.engadget.com/2011/12/12/fcc-restarts-review-clock-for-atandts-spectrum-purchase-gives-it/ http://www.engadget.com/2011/12/12/fcc-restarts-review-clock-for-atandts-spectrum-purchase-gives-it/\
- LL: Is the iPhone Launch date going to be in September?
- AI: It looks like ATT is not going to be ready for 4G until summer 2012, so it makes sense to expect the iPhone 5 to come later than June.
- AL: It is tricky, because people have expectations and are holding off on their purchase because they expect a certain release date.
- The same thing with the Mac Pro. All of us are holding off with a purchase because we believe there is a new model coming out soon.
- AI: Apple has shown no interest in larger screens or any other features that are rolling out on other phones.
- It does look like that Apple is focussing on LTE for the next major revision.
- Another question is interesting: Would Apple consider a skip year for the iPhone model?
- Although, 2012 is going to be the biggest that Apple has had since the launch of the iPhone; Windows 8 could really push into the market strongly.
- LL: There is a lot of pressure put on the manufactures in the mobile phone market, isn't there?
- However, traditionally Apple hasn't paid much attention to what competitors are doing.
- AL: I kind of consider my 4S being a skip year phone; iPhone 4 Skip.
Samsung Ads against Apple
- LL: What do you think about the Samsung ads?
- AI: This a sort of ad that a #2 provider is launching to get at the #1 provider. It's funny, but who cares.
- LL: It's very funny.
- Reminds me of the Apple ad with the lemmings (PC users) running off the cliff.
- A lot of people didn't like that ad.
Samsung is now selling tablets in Australia
- LL: The lawsuit is still going on but Samsung can sell their tablets at least.
- AI: So they are saying that if it doesn't have any features it's an Apple idea?
- So if I have a wall without anything hanging off it I might have to call Apple for their permission.
- AL: They copyrighted taste.
- LL: Yes, you can make something it just can't be looking good.
User Interface Wizard Slams Kindle Fire, Calls It 'Disappointingly Poor'
- AL: I still think it's a good device. It's not a replacement of the iPad but it does what it does really well.
- It's like when Apple came up with a response to the netbooks. They didn't come out with another netbook but were satisfying the market within their universe with their own product.
- Similarly, Amazon has launched a product that is fitting a specific market within their universe.
- There are definitely some rough edges that need to be smoothed.
- The B&N nook is still a lot better in reading magazines than the Fire.
- LL: His issue is the 7 inch size, which are not suitable for finger use.
Radio Shack to offer $30 discount on iPhone 4S and iPhone 4 starting Sunday
Apple Seeds iOS 5.1 Beta 2 to Developers, Enables Photo Stream Photo Deletion
- AI: That deleting feature should have been put in right away.
- It's another example of Apple not communicating well around iCloud.
- LL: Out of every picture that I take I don't want all of them to show up.
- AI: Why wouldn't they have some preview with thumbnails rather than just syncing everything?
- Sometimes I will sit there and wonder where that one picture is that I want.
- AL: Are you having any issues with headsets?
- LL: I don't believe it's the iPhone, I think it's ATT.
- AL: It only happens when I plug it into the iPhone.
- My theory is, that it has something to do with noise cancellation.
- LL: I've only had that problem with ATT.
Apple Releases iTunes 10.5.2 with iTunes Match and Audio Distortion Fixes
- AI: Are you guys using iTunes Match? Are you still having sync problems?
- I'm still learning how to get this thing to do what I want it to do.
- AL: I have not messed around with iTunes Match.
- I haven't sorted it out how to set it up properly yet, because of my specific setup.
- AI: I don't think I have a problem with iTunes Match but with iCloud.
- I'm having a great experience with iTunes Match.
Apple Founding Documents Sell for Nearly $1.6 Million
- LL: I thought Paul Allen could have bought it.
- AI: I think it could have been Mark Zuckerberg.
- LL: I looked at the signatures: Steve signed all in lower case. I don't know what that means.
- AL: I sign like that.
Apple Bumps Free Holiday Shipping Offer Up to 2-3 Business Day Delivery
Apple rumored to buy flash memory company for $500 million
Apple Mac Store breaks the 100 million download barrier
- LL: The came out in January. Isn't that a lot slower than iOS downloads, isn't it.
- iOS downloads are at 18 billion
'iTunes Rewind' Highlights the Best of 2011; Instagram, Tiny Tower Win Best of Year Awards
- LL: #1 App: Instagram
- #1 Game: Tiny Tower
- AL: Did Instagram even come out this year?
- AI: Instagram should be praise to having built a great community.
- Is it the best app though?
- When you look at Flipboard though, isn't that much more of a candidate for a best app?
- LL: Did you talk about Fliboard for iPhone last week?
- AI: Yes we did.
- LL: I love it on the iPhone.
Steve Jobs biography is Amazon's bestselling book of 2011
- AI: That is surprising because it only had 2 months to get there.
- As long as it beats the vampires.
- AL: What does a vampire pack for lunch?
Apple's New Campus Will Put On A Spectacular Show Every Year, Starting On Steve Jobs' Birthday
- LL: Forbes really must have had a slow news week.
- I do remember, when Jobs pitches this to the council he did mention that there will be more trees that everywhere else in a similar setting.
Le Web 2011
- LL: Le Web was great and I hope you saw some of our coverage.
- CTO Next: Jean-Marie Hullot's current product is PhotoPedia
- He also said that he lived with Steve Jobs for many months.
- He didn't have anything bad to say about Jobs.
- Spotify had a big announcement.
- All the news went to Eric Smith who said that 1/2 of the TVs sold in 2012 will have Google TV in it.
- Later Googles PR would go aehm.
- There's also always coffee and wine all the time.
- A lot of our coverage was very early in the morning here in the US but you can look at the specials on twit.tv or iTunes.
Tips & Picks
- AL: We all know that in iOS 5 we can use the volume button to take pictures from the iPhone
- What a lot of people don't know you can do that with you volume button on your head set.
- AI: Keychain access has a great feature built in:
- The ability to take secure notes.
- Open the app "Keychain Accesss", click on notes and you can take your notes securely.
- Keychain Access is also version safe so you can open even very old keychain files in a few years.
Picks of the Week
- AL: Go TOKYO by GMAP Public transport maps for Tokyo, $2.99
- LL: Textmate 2.0 Alpha Great Text Editor, $???
- Stuck on Earth Great travel app, free
- AI: Lumin By Mahboud Zabetian Electronic Magnifying Glass, $1.99
- GoToMeeting (offer code: macbreak): Safe money by meeting from the comfort of your home/office.
- Carbonite (offer code: macbreak): online backup for Mac and PC
- [http://www.ford.com/technology/sync/ Ford Sync) Wi-Fi connectivity from SYNC with MyFord Touch
- Edited by:
- Shotes notes: Jean-Marie Schweizer (Bushgeek)
|This area is for use by TWiT staff only. Please do not add or edit any content within this section.|