MacBreak Weekly 288
From The Official TWiT Wiki
Guests: Andy Ihnatko, Chris Breen, Trey Ratcliff
Recorded: February 28th, 2012
Published: February 28th, 2012
MacBreak Weekly 288:
Invitations start arriving for the Apple Event next week, and much more...
- Andy Ihnatko ( /Google+)
- Alex Lindsay ( /Google+)
- Jason Snell ( /Google+)
Apple Event on March 7
- JS: If Apple is following the pattern, then an iPad 3 would be available around March 17.
- LL: The only thing the invitation tells us is that it most likely will have a Retina display.
- Another rumor is that it would be $80 more… (AI: yes, some Chinese blog said that)
- AL: Do we think that it's going to be $399 or $299.
- AI: If Apple is ever going cheaper than they would probably only go down to $399 or maye $349.
- Also, if they drop the price they will not be able to raise it ever again.
- AL: On of the reasons why we might see a size increase is because of storage requirements.
- We might see a 128 GB iPad.
- AI: The inpact of a Retina display would already be noticable on apps like iBooks and the Kindle app.
- LL: Could they make Retina displays across the boards, incl. laptops, cinema display, etc.
Photoshop touches down on the iPad
- AI: I played around with it and it seems that it is at times sluggish.
- AL: I find it interesting how Tim Cook is so diplomatic about it. He's saying that they are thinking about paying out dividend, which basically means it'll not happen.
- LL: He says that he would be the first to admit that they have more cache than we need…
Confronting a Law Of Limits
- AL: Who is to say that Apple is not going into other markets?
Apple Riding High, but for How Long?
Microsoft Office for iPad expected in coming weeks
Mountain Lion threatens Facebook and Microsoft
Apple Explains iCloud in New Ad [VIDEO]
Apple Acquires Chomp; App Store Search And Discovery To Be Completely Revamped
$1.29 Can’t Buy Me Love, but it will get me the ringtone
- AL: Can't Garageband create ringtones?
- JS: Yes, it has its own option to do that. It's about 24 seconds long.
iPhone User Awarded $850 in Judgment Against AT&T Over Throttling
- LL: Judge says that Small Claims Court is where justice is happening.
- AT&T says that may appeal.
- LL: It's interesting to see that Spring is making a point of being the only company having unlimited plans.
Tips & Picks
- JS: ???
- AI: Use Preview to sign your document with the annotation.
- There is a great widget that allows your to sign a card, hold it up to the camera and it captures your signature and stores it for future reference.
Picks of the Week
- AL: Adobe Photoshop Touch, Photo editing tool, $9.99
- JS: Marked App, Markdown Preview for any text editor, $3.99
- AI: Midway Arcade, Rampage in Midway Arcade $0.99
- LL: Little Square Mic, Compact USB/XLR microphone, $179
- GoToMyPC (offer code: macbreak): Access your PC from anywhere
- [http://www.ford.com/technology/ Ford EcoBoost) Electric and hybrid technology
- Gazelle Recycle the easy way…
- Edited by:
- Show notes: Jean-Marie Schweizer (Bushgeek)
|This area is for use by TWiT staff only. Please do not add or edit any content within this section.|