MacBreak Weekly 291
Guests: Andy Ihnatko, Rich Siegel
Recorded: March 21th, 2012
Published: March 21th, 2012
- 1 MacBreak Weekly 291: The Black Blood of the Earth
- 2 Topics
- 2.1 Apple Is Rich
- 2.2 The NEW iPad
- 2.3 The American Life
- 2.4 Other
- 3 Tips & Picks
- 4 Production Information
MacBreak Weekly 291: The Black Blood of the Earth
The NEW iPad, Tim Cook's conference call, spanking Mr. Daisey, and much more...
Apple Is Rich
- LL: We always knew that Apple had $100 Mio. in cash, but we didn't know that most of it is somewhere overseas.
- So it seems that Apple has been putting some of it profits abroad to avoid corporate taxes.
- Spending $45 Billion dollars is more than the US cash reserves… :-)
- RS: But because they are spending this money over time, they will actually end up with more money in the bank than what they have now.
- LL: There's a lot they could do with that money though, e.g. buying the music industry, etc.
With dividend, Tim Cook thinks differently about Apple
Apple stocks finishes above $600 for first time
The NEW iPad
Apple moves 3 million third-generation iPads over launch weekend
- LL: We heard in November that manufacturing has wrapped up last November already, which would explain why they didn't run out this time.
- AI: Also, the glue for the screen has to cure for a while, 2 or 3 weeks, in order to avoid the bleeding problem.
AT&T sets single-day record for iPad sales, activations
New iPad Overheating?
- AI: Apple tolerance might be 93 or 94 degrees Fahrenheit.
- LL: The way to test it is to play a very power hungry game and hold the iPad at it's lower third.
- AI: If I'm reading everything is fine, but as soon as I use it with flash after 10 minutes it gets really hot.
The new iPad teardown surprises
Verizon iPad found to be compatible with AT&T's 3G network
The American Life
'This American Life' Retracts Show on Foxconn Working Conditions over Fabricated Claims
- LL: Is Mike Daisey off the hook by saying he is not a journalist.
- AI: Not at all. If you are going on a news radio using them for publicity you should be aware that people might take what you are saying as truth.
- You can't just come after the fact and say it was all art.
- RS: I agree… One of the tragic things is that he caused a loss of credibility in the issue due to his performance.
Woz supports Mike Daisey's message and says you should too
==== Apple launches ‘Answers from the community’ support listings on product pages http://thenextweb.com/apple/2012/03/19/apple-launches-answers-from-the-community-support-forums/
Microsoft's Metro: Does it need iTunes to thrive?
Apple loses final ITC ruling against Motorola Mobility: preliminary finding of no violation affirmed
Tips & Picks
- AI: Mac Preview
- Select several images in the finder and open them in preview.
- Not only will they be opened but also put together in a collection
- and in fullscreen mode you can browse through them from page to page
- saves time as opposed to writing a keynote presentation, etc.
Picks of the Week
- RS: The Black Blood of the Earth Cold extraction concentrate, $50 for sampler.
- AI: Google Book Downloader, free
- LL: Zombies Run, Fitness, $7.99
- Edited by:
- Show notes: Jean-Marie Schweizer (Bushgeek)
|This area is for use by TWiT staff only. Please do not add or edit any content within this section.|