MacBreak Weekly 325
From The Official TWiT Wiki
Topic: iPhone 5S, the future of Springboard, HTC and Apple drop patents, and more.
Recorded: November 13, 2012
Published: November 13, 2012
iPhone 5S, the future of Springboard, HTC and Apple drop patents, and more.
- Sarah Lane ( )Google+)
- Andy Ihnatko ( /Google+)
- Rene Ritchie ( /about.me)
- Jason Snell ( /Google+)
- Leo's on vacation for the MacMania 15 cruise, so Sarah is here to guest host!
Apple and HTC patent settlement
Apple PR Andy: Could be a signal of changing strategy on Apple's part. Litigating these cases can be a drain on resources
Apple pays Swiss railway operator for iPad clock design
Eddy Cue joins Ferrari board of directors
Apple grants select employees 2 weeks per year for personal projects
- Jason: Not nearly as extensive as Google's 20% time policy
Samsung reportedly raises prices for Apple chip manufacturing by 20%
- Jason: Samsung may have decided that they won't be an Apple supplier in the future, and decided to make more money while they can
- Andy: Reasons for the markup aren't entirely clear
Judge considering questions on jury foreman in Samsung v. Apple trial
Apple to pay Samsung's court costs in UK case
iPhone 5S rumors already ramping up
- DigiTimes claims a 5S could be released in the spring
- Jason: Normally easy to disregard rumors of quicker release cycles, but iPad 4th-gen puts that into question
- Rene: One rumor is that iPhone 5 manufacturing difficulties is leading Apple to ramp-up 5S design
Apple's dual-mode headphone/speaker patent
Microperforation patent for Apple logos on MacBooks
Business Insider: "It's Time For Apple To Unleash A Major Software Overhaul"
- Jason: Having Ive/Federighi/Cue in charge of software could mean a new approach
- Rene: Once Blackberry 10 comes out, iOS will be the oldest major smartphone OS
- Andy: Apple will be challenged to push the medium forward, especially since competitors have moved away from imitating iOS and are taking their own approaches.
Picks of the Week
- Andy's pick: Track 8 by Ender Labs for iOS. $1.99
- Interface for using iOS device in the car
- Rene's pick: Clear for Mac. $9.99
- iCloud sync with iOS app
- Jason's pick: ControlPlane for Mac. Free.
- Auto-adjust system settings based on your location.
- American Express
- Edited by:
|This area is for use by TWiT staff only. Please do not add or edit any content within this section.|