MacBreak Weekly 328
From The Official TWiT Wiki
Guests: Rene Ritchie
Topic: We've got the full panel today, talking about the new iTunes and more.
Recorded: December 4, 2012
Published: December 4, 2012
- 1 MacBreak Weekly 328: The Thinnest iTunes Ever
- 1.1 Hosts
- 1.2 Guests
- 1.3 Topics
- 1.3.1 iTunes 11 finally released
- 1.3.2 iTunes gift cards now with variable pricing
- 1.3.3 $35,000 home theater for first run movies
- 1.3.4 Should Apple fund feature films to get more leverage over movie studios?
- 1.3.5 Netflix signs distribution deal with Disney
- 1.3.6 Apple ahead of Samsung in ad impressions, but not market share
- 1.3.7 Not easy for Apple to switch away from Samsung for ARM chips?
- 1.3.8 Apple now owns patent for page turn animation
- 1.3.9 Apple reportedly hiring former Texas Instruments engineers
- 1.3.10 Apple selling unlocked iPhone 5
- 1.3.11 iPhone 5 arriving in 50 more markets by December 7
- 1.3.12 T-Mobile expanding iPhone-compatible 3G service to more markets
- 1.3.13 iPad periodical The Daily shuts down
- 1.3.14 21.5" iMac disassembled
- 1.3.15 Gmail 2.0 for iOS released, includes iPad support and multiple accounts
- 1.3.16 Zaggfolio iPad keyboard case
- 1.4 Picks of the Week
- 2 Sponsors
- 3 Production Information
MacBreak Weekly 328: The Thinnest iTunes Ever
We've got the full panel today, talking about the new iTunes and more.
- Leo Laporte ( /Google+)
- Andy Ihnatko ( /Google+)
- Alex Lindsay ( /Google+)
iTunes 11 finally released
- Andy: One big feature removed is the ability to have a playlist open in a separate window
- Rene: Interface is updated, but internally it's pretty much the same.
- Leo: It's a redesign, not a rewrite... not enough to get me to use it again.
- Andy: Music store previews continue if you browse somewhere else
- Andy: Default view is a grid of album art... doesn't really fit collections that only have a few tracks from a given album.
- Andy: Installed iTunes 11 on a Samsung Windows 8 tablet... really suits touch-based input well
- Leo: You can now redeem iTunes gift cards by scanning them with your camera
iTunes gift cards now with variable pricing
$35,000 home theater for first run movies
Should Apple fund feature films to get more leverage over movie studios?
Netflix signs distribution deal with Disney
Not easy for Apple to switch away from Samsung for ARM chips?
Apple now owns patent for page turn animation
- Everyone agrees it's emblematic of a broken patent system
- "Patents of mass destruction" - Rene
Apple reportedly hiring former Texas Instruments engineers
Apple selling unlocked iPhone 5
- Leo recommends the Verizon iPhone 5 instead, since it's also an unlocked GSM phone for use on other networks. Make sure to check that the supported GSM frequencies on the phone match those for network you want to use, though.
- Rene: Even if the frequencies match, LTE won't work on the iPhone if Apple hasn't approved that carrier's LTE network for use with the iPhone
iPhone 5 arriving in 50 more markets by December 7
T-Mobile expanding iPhone-compatible 3G service to more markets
- Leo: Only a handful of markets currently support 3G for the iPhone. [T-Mobile is actively running trials in many more areas. This map tracks reports of 3G sightings by customers. -Roy]
iPad periodical The Daily shuts down
21.5" iMac disassembled
Gmail 2.0 for iOS released, includes iPad support and multiple accounts
Zaggfolio iPad keyboard case
Picks of the Week
- Alex's pick: Sound Devices USBPre 2. $600+
- Swiss army knife of audio in/out, balanced input/output, supports XLR/optical out
- Rene's pick: AnoStyle reanodizing process for iPhone 5 and iPad. $249
- Strips off Apple's anodized back and reanodizes it with your choice of custom colors
- Andy's pick: BBEdit by Bare Bones Software. $49.99
- Big update to 10.5, provides retina support, amongst many new features
- Leo's pick: The Human Face of Big Data by Rick Smolan and Jennifer Erwitt. $50
- Big coffee table book about big data
- iPad companion app
- Smile Software
- Edited by:
|This area is for use by TWiT staff only. Please do not add or edit any content within this section.|