MacBreak Weekly 333
From The Official TWiT Wiki
Guests: Adam Engst
Topic: We talk about Apple's tumbling stock price, iPhone sales, Tim Cook meets with Chinese government, and more.
Recorded: January 15, 2013
Published: January 15, 2013
- 1 MacBreak Weekly 333: Apple Shorts
- 1.1 Hosts
- 1.2 Guests
- 1.3 Topics
- 1.3.1 Apple's share price continues to fall
- 1.3.2 Apple gets technical Emmy
- 1.3.3 Thunderbolt cables are now cheaper, shorter length also available
- 1.3.4 Tim Cook goes to China to meet with China Mobile chairman
- 1.3.5 More low-cost iPhone rumors
- 1.3.6 Apple blocks Java plug-in due to critical vulnerability
- 1.3.7 T-Mobile to start selling iPhone later this year
- 1.3.8 Top podcaster sued by patent troll, casts shadow over podcasting
- 1.3.9 Facebook announces social search
- 1.4 Picks of the Week
- 2 Sponsors
- 3 Production Information
MacBreak Weekly 333: Apple Shorts
We talk about Apple's tumbling stock price, iPhone sales, Tim Cook meets with Chinese government, and more.
- Leo Laporte ( /Google+)
- Andy Ihnatko ( /Google+)
- Rene Ritchie ( /about.me)
- Leo: Apple has reduced orders for iPhone parts according to WSJ, which reports that demand is "weaker-than-expected"... but what was the expectation?
- Rene: WSJ article had a figure in its original article of 65 million expected unit sales for the quarter, which would be way too high for Q2 sales.
- Leo: To me, reduced iPhone part orders is believable... there seems to be a lot more people moving to Android
- Andy: 2012 was the year in which iOS lost its compelling edge against Android
- Leo: Apple needs to release something that leapfrogs the competition... an iPad mini with phone capability. People just want to take around one device.
- Rene: Once Blackberry 10 launches, Apple for the first time will be in the position where it has the oldest mobile phone OS on the market.
Apple gets technical Emmy
Thunderbolt cables are now cheaper, shorter length also available
Tim Cook goes to China to meet with China Mobile chairman
- Adam: Whatever happened to rumors of Apple being its own carrier?
- Leo: It's tough, just look at the trouble Dish Network has had in becoming a mobile carrier
More low-cost iPhone rumors
- Rene: There's a difference between making something cheaper vs. affordable. Apple has been good at driving down prices without sacrificing build quality.
Apple blocks Java plug-in due to critical vulnerability
T-Mobile to start selling iPhone later this year
Top podcaster sued by patent troll, casts shadow over podcasting
- Leo: We'll be simulcasting with Adam Carolla about this on Thursday at 7PST/10EST
- Andy: It won't convince anyone to make Facebook a bigger part of their lives
Picks of the Week
- Andy's pick: Aereo. $1/day, $8/month, or $80/year
- Service lets you rent a small antenna, streams/DVRs your metro area's broadcast channels to pretty much any device
- Originally NYC only, now expanding into 20 new cities
- Rene's picks:
- Adam's pick: Friends+Me.
- Sends Google+ posts to Facebook/Twitter/LinkedIn
- Leo's pick: Squarespace Note for iOS. Free
- Simple note app that can send notes to Squarespace, email, Dropbox, Twitter, Facebook or Evernote
- Edited by:
|This area is for use by TWiT staff only. Please do not add or edit any content within this section.|