MacBreak Weekly 407
Topic: Nuance explores possible sale, Tourisme Outaouais 2014, Apple Reaches Settlement on E-Books Suit, Apple design process and product philosophy, iOS 8 Beta 2 tidbits, and more.
Recorded: June 17, 2014
Published: June 18, 2014
MacBreak Weekly 407: "I'm a Taste Maker"
Nuance explores possible sale, Tourisme Outaouais 2014, Apple Reaches Settlement on E-Books Suit, Apple design process and product philosophy, iOS 8 Beta 2 tidbits, and more.
- Leo Laporte ( /Google+)
- Alex Lindsay ( /Google+)
- Andy Ihnatko ( /Google+)
- Rene Ritchie ( /about.me)
Fallout of Beats Purchase
- Leo: Bono speaks out - "Apple bought Beats for the personnel"
- Alex: $3.2 Billion too much for 2 people
- Leo: Nuance was an acquiring company, buying Dragon and all voice recognition and scanning OCR technologies
- Rene: Siri runs on Nuance servers
- Leo: Samsung also uses Nuance technology in it's own Samsung Speech
- Andy: It is very difficult for a company like Nuance to keep up/fight against Apple or Google. Best to sell and move on
- Leo: Carl Icaan may be pressuring this
- Leo: Apple actually bought Nouvaris last year
- Rene: Apple is moving to streaming voice on iOS 8, voice is streamed actively to server instead of when you are done speaking
- Leo: It's a "fire sale" since Apple, Google and Microsoft all have their own voice recognition now
- Leo: Dictation Online is a decent Dictation software
- Leo: Andy? are you moon-lighting?
- Andy: It is not me
- Rene: Outaouais is outside Ottawa area near the Quebec/Ottawa border
Apple reached an agreement on the eBooks lawsuit
- Leo: Apple will pay, an agreement was reached, it is currently sealed awaiting approval of judge
- Alex: Amazon sold books the traditional method (wholesale/retail), Apple changed it to publisher priced
- Leo: Amazon claimed this was collusion, causing the supplier to determine the cost, not the market
- Leo: Plaintiffs - Justice Dept as well as several State Attorney Generals sued, JD wanted oversight only, states continued wanting monetary damages up to $280 Million
Tim Cook/Jonny Ives profiles in New York Times
- Rene: The crux of the article says Tim Cook is NOT Steve Jobs (duh)/ a couple developers complained about HealthKit w/o hardware "Steve would never do that" (but he DID)
- Leo: There are facts in the article about Tim Cook that I did not know
- Andy: There are definate different management styles between Jobs and Cook. Tim is NOT trying to develop "cult of personality"
- Andy: Why can't the world let go of this? (Jobs vs Cook)
- Rene: Until recently the main-stream media did not realize how important Tim Cook has been to Apple even prior to Jobs death
- Leo: We still don't know what "Tim Cooks" Apple is going to be like, it will take time!
Top Questions from Question Engine http://twit.to/mbw407
- Question: Steve Kellener, So. Cal.
Will Apple revamp iTunes in the fall? The UI is soooooo dated...
- Answer: Leo: It's true, iTunes has been left alone
- Alex: It does so much, it takes a lot to update it
- Rene: It has to be transferrable to Windows
- Andy: It may need to have the features unbundled to separate apps
- Question: Andreas Lidnstram, London, UK
What do you think Jonathan Ive talked about when he hinted that they are working with "New Type Of Materials" in the NY Times Interview?
- Answer: Leo: LiquidMetal
- Andy: Sapphire, curved glass
- Alex: There will be a LOT of innovation as we get into wearables
- Question: Chris Pietschmann
What's new in the iOS 8 Beta 2 release?
- Answer: Rene: The podcast app is default installed (not necessary to download from App Store)
- Leo: Safari will stop the automatic transferring to the App Store from links MacRumors Article
- Question: CBen, Riverside, CA, USA
What is new in OS X Yosemite beta 2
- Answer: Leo: Too early to talk about that yet... Give us some time
- Rene: Photobooth is back
- Question: Nathan, Houston, TX, USA
Would you recommend Swift as a first language for an aspiring programmer?
- Answer: Andy/Alex: NO
- Andy: If you want to start, start with Ruby. It is usable NOW, it will teach you objective programming
- Leo: It's Beta, it's not cross-platform
- Question: Anthony Perri
When will we see a refreshed iMac? will there be a new design?
- Answer: Leo: Someday? Yes
- Andy: Apple does not intend to update the iMac every year
- Question: Dale, Seattle
Is the Mac Mini dead?
- Answer: Rene: No, you should see it go to Haswell
- Andy: New form factor coming
- Question: Adam Waller
New Apple TV set top box this year???
- Answer: Alex: Absolutely, this year
- Question: MrJoshua, Coeur d'Alene, ID
@Andy - I appreciated your pieces on Android last year. Does the new direction in philosophy for Apple mean you'll be switching back to iPhone?
- Answer: Andy: Stronger than "might." A larger screen would make it an absolute
Picks of the Week
- Andy's pick: Mellow Cooker for $400 (preordered) $500 when available
- Not only heats/cooks, but it has a chiller so you can set it up before you go to work and it will start cooking automatically
- Rene's pick: Launch Center Pro – Contrast (iOS) for $4.99
- Configure inter app activities
- Facebook Slingshot (anti-pick) for free
- Alex’s pick:Seagate Backup Plus Portable Thunderbolt Adapter for $85.99
- Because it is Thunderbolt, it transfers data REALLY fast
- Leo’s pick: Reeder 2 by Silvio Rizzi (Mac apps store) for $9.99
- I won't let RSS die!
- Edited by:
|This area is for use by TWiT staff only. Please do not add or edit any content within this section.|