MacBreak Weekly 410
From The Official TWiT Wiki
Topic: iPhone 6 sapphire display, Tim Cook's vision for Apple, Apple hires Swiss watch maker, Foxcon to use robots, and more.
Recorded: July 8, 2014
Published: July 8, 2014
MacBreak Weekly 410: Please Remove Your Piercings
iPhone 6 sapphire display, Tim Cook's vision for Apple, Apple hires Swiss watch maker, Foxcon to use robots, and more.
- Mike Elgan ( /Google+)
- Alex Lindsay ( /Google+)
- Andy Ihnatko ( /Google+)
- Rene Ritchie ( /about.me)
- Mike: Leo is STILL on vacation
- Andy: Hatred of haggis is based solely on arrogance and ignorance.
- Renee: Offended by anti-Scottishism, but have not tried haggis.
- Alex: Back from Rwanda, having attended the celebration the 20th anniversary of the end of the genocide.
- Mike: Major demonstration of the durability of the sapphire screen
- Renee: Sonny Dickson is reputable for getting genuine parts
- Mike: Apple has applied for a Sapphire laminate patent, this MAY be an example of that
- Andy: Anything that will protect the screen will be a benefit
- Alex: Apple steps to the high-er end
- Andy: Will the end user really care?
- Mike: Apple needs to cater to the hard-core users who will drive the initial sales
- Alex: When people understand the efforts involved in creating, then they are more apt to buy
- Mike: Apple wants people to carry these phones without any cases.
Tim Cook's Effect on Apple (subscription required)
- Mike: A very good article in the WSJ about how Apple has changed under Tim Cook
- Renee: The board is the last part of Apple now that does not have Tim's "fingerprint"
- Alex: Cook is perfect for growing and leading the Apple of now (as opposed to the Apple of the past)
- Mike: Steve was a "wartime" CEO and Tim is a "peace time" CEO
- Mike: Apple Pride video When have you seen Apple employees being "warm and fuzzy' people?
- Alex: Apple is not only competing for users, but also for employees
- Mike: It seems like Apple is pushing to be much more environmentally friendly now than they were under Steve
- Alex: I think Apple is competing with Samsung to be the first major manufacturer to be "off the grid"
- Mike: Tim Cook is more willing to share the attention. Is Federici being groomed?
- Andy: Apple is now aware that because the presence of Steve in the past created the atmosphere that he was responsible of everything therefore creating the issue of "post-Steve Apple," so now they know they need to show that Apple is a collection of many visionaries, not just one.
iWatch - Apple hires Swiss Watchmaker
- Mike: I've been wearing the LG Gwatch Notifications on your wrist is life changing.
- Alex: I DON'T want notifications. But am still excited about other features
- Mike: GoogleNow on the wrist!
- Mike: Apple poached Patrick Pruniaux, senior watchmaker sales executive 
- Andy: This hire indicates the product may be more of an expensive, luxury watch versus a "fitness band."
- Renee: Whatever Apple is working on will be a product LINE, not just a product
- Mike: All the recent hires seem to be indicating high-end product
- Renee: For years we've heard "Tim isn't doing enough, no new products" but now the claims of "Tim is spreading the company too thin" are being made
- Mike: This may be issuing in a new era of marketing process, not products
- Andy: Apples main product has not been the Mac, iPod, iPhone or iPad, it has always been APPLE.
- Mike: The image of the company drives up the margins
Foxconn to use robots
- Mike: Foxconn to deploy 10,000 robots
- Alex: It doesn't appear to affect jobs as Foxconn states that they are hiring 100,000 new employees
- Mike: Is there a trend for Apple to increase production in the US?
- Alex: Note, users need to know that the TSA is now demanding portable electronics be turned on to demonstrate it works before passing through security
- Mike: The TSA seems to be singling out the iPhone and Samsung-Galaxy line phones.
Picks of the Week
- Alex’s pick: Call Out(for FinalCut Pro) for $59
- Add animated arrows, shapes and magnifiers into videos
- Andy's pick: Stump Stand (for iPhone/iPaD) for $25
- Will hold just about ANY phone/tablet/phablet
- Rene's pick: Tip - With TouchID you can register a trusted person to access your phone in emergencies
- Very convienent to delete later
- Mike’s pick: [http://www.dodocase.com Dodo Case (for iPhone) from $40 (iPad mini) or $65 (iPad)
- Very customizable and practical
| I Said Yes to Everything by Lee Grant (UNABRIDGED)|
Narrated by Orlagh Cassidy
- Edited by:
|This area is for use by TWiT staff only. Please do not add or edit any content within this section.|