MacBreak Weekly 419
From The Official TWiT Wiki
Topic: Post analysis of Apple event announcing iPhone 6, 6 Plus, ApplePay, and Apple Watch and more
Recorded: September 9, 2014
Published: September 9, 2014
MacBreak Weekly 419: Apple Watch
Post analysis of Apple event announcing iPhone 6, 6 Plus, Apple Watch, iOS 8 and more
- Leo Laporte ( /Google+)
- Alex Lindsay ( /Google+)
- Mike Elgan ( /Google+)
- Justine Ezarik ( /Google+)
New Apple Announcements on 9/9/2014
- Leo: Announcement did not include anything unexpected
- iPhone 6 - 4.7"
- iPhone 6 Plus - 5.5" both available to order 9/12 for delivery on the 19th
- ApplePay - touch to pay system
- Apple Watch
- Leo: Tim Cooks first new product announcement
- Mike: He seemed genuinely excited and in his element
- Leo: Kevin Lynch did the demo of the AppleWatch
- Justine: Excited for the AppleWatch after using the Pebble and the Samsung Gear
- Mike: Apple may have overcome some of the issues other smart watches have had
- Leo: AppleWatch will not be available until next year, will have 3 models
- Alex: Did Apple announce this to sandbag the other smart watches for Christmas?
- Leo: They have the exchangeable bands for the watch
- Leo: ApplePay will work with the AppleWatch, also requires an iPhone 6 or 6 Plus
- Justine: I love the MagSafe charging, most of the other watches have annoying charging systems
- Mike: The battery needs to last a full day at a minimum!
Andy in Cupertino
- Andy: Resolution on the AppleWatch is fantastic, punchy colors, pictures looked like genuine cameos, weight: Sport is light and forgettable; Edition has some significant heft
- Leo: What about pricing?
- Andy: Typical pricing for Apple, more than competitors, but still affordable. We were not able to actually touch any Watches. No information at all about battery life
- Leo: What about the phones?
- Andy: (First day impressions) The 5.5" is a wonderful device. Pop Tart size, but not awkwardly so. Multi finger gestures did not seem to work. Rounded edges makes a major difference
- Leo: Thoughts on ApplePay
- Andy: It's implemented in just the way I would like to see it done.
- Mike: 2 questions - What happened to Saphire glass? How do you authenticate a purchase on the AppleWatch?
- Andy: The watch IS Saphire... Authentication with Watch? I've not delved that deep into the information....
- Leo: Renee tweeted - "Watch uses a passcode to authorize Pay. Authorized for as long as skin contact is maintained. If taken off, need to re-enter pin."
Problems with Apple Streaming
- Alex: There was so much involved with active translations and other "moving parts" it is not surprising there were some issues
Rumor Mill Fails?
- Justine: Kinda wanted to see wireless (inductive) charging
- Leo: What about the nude picture "-gate?" Should Tim have addressed that?
- Justine: I think it was better for him to NOT address it
- Mike: Tim talked about security issues, but did not address this particular issue and I think he should have
Rene in Cupertino
- Renee: The Watch uses a different OS, NOT a slimmed down version of iOS, meant to be a complement to the iPhone
- Leo: Apple now has 3 OS's!
- Rene: Not much info, but makes sense to not "dumb down" iOS, but to develop an OS specifically for the Watch
- Leo: This is definitely a "TIM" product, Steve would not have released it
- Renee: Absolutely. It will make a major impact
- Edited by:
|This area is for use by TWiT staff only. Please do not add or edit any content within this section.|