MacBreak Weekly 420
Topic: NFC compatible with Apple Pay only at launch, 2 million free U2 album downloads, Tim Cook on Charlie Rose, a watch guy's thought on the Apple Watch, iPhone 6 vs. iPhone 6 Plus, and more
Recorded: September 16, 2014
Published: September 16, 2014
- 1 MacBreak Weekly 420: Apple Hangover
- 2 Sponsors
- 3 Production Information
MacBreak Weekly 420: Apple Hangover
NFC compatible with Apple Pay only at launch, 2 million free U2 album downloads, Tim Cook on Charlie Rose, a watch guy's thought on the Apple Watch, iPhone 6 vs. iPhone 6 Plus, and more
- Leo Laporte ( /Google+)
- Alex Lindsay ( /Google+)
- Rene Ritchie ( /about.me)
- Andy Ihnatko ( /Google+)
iOS 8 ships tomorrow (Sept 17)
- Leo: Is it ready?
- Rene: It's as ready as it can be, even more so than iOS 7 was. But there is no testing like 100 Million users....
- Leo: Should people install it immediately?
- Rene: If you're a nerd... but if not, let others hit it and bring the issues to the forefront
- Leo: Is there a look and feel difference?
- Rene: iOS 8 is more of a functionality upgrade
- Leo: Some people say Apple doesn't really innovate, but they refine
- Alex: Apple attempts to do things RIGHT rather than first
- Andy: If you look at things that are Android first, you will see some half-baked solutions
- Rene: Apple could have made big phones years ago, but were never happy with the compromises at the time
- Andy: Sometimes Apple waits to "get it right," but sometimes Apple has no interest in a particular feature
- Rene: I like the choice to get cutting edge technology today, and that Apple will take their time to make it in their time
NFC in iPhone
- Leo: NFC will only be available for ApplePay and will not work with external speakers, rings, etc...
- Rene: At least part of that is because Apple was unable to lock down the "yes/no" tokens for security without taking it through keychain.
- Leo: ApplePay not until Nov?
Free U2 Album
- Leo: Did anyone foresee the outburst AGAINST the free U2 album?
- Rene: It demonstrates the idea of digital property and domain.
- Leo: It is spam because it was shoved into everyone's iCloud. Getting any other free music from iTunes takes an affirmative action
- Alex: I bet it was actually less than .5% of the users who were upset about it
- Andy: Is it a FIASCO? Worth someone getting fired? No
- Leo: It is embarrasing. Some say it's a "gift," but spammers can say the same thing.
- Tim was mea culpa on Maps, that it should never had been released
- (between the lines) Apple just wants to continue making hardware that works
- Apple is NOT buying Path to develop a social network
- iCloud was not "hacked" it was a phishing operation
- Tim did not expect to be CEO (thought Steve would be the chairman for a long time after he became CEO)
- Steve's office has not been touched
- Google is Apple's main competitor
- Leo: Concerned the Watch does not fulfill the promise
- Andy: I did not come away from this as excited as I was with the iPhone and iPad, but I am curious as to how it will be used
- Leo: Benjamin Clymer posted a great review
- Rene: There was not that "moment" that Apple showed how the Watch fits into the product line or our lives
- Leo: The Android watch has shown that there is a bigger demand for a round face over a square face
- Leo: 24 Million sold in the first 24 hours
- Leo: How do we feel about the (camera) bump?
- Alex: I want it bigger with a bigger chip!
Top Questions from Question Engine http://twit.to/mbw420
- Question: Aaron Mahler
What are your thoughts on Apple going 16/64/128 and dropping 32 on iPhone6?
- Answer: Leo: Nobody will buy the 16G, 64G ups the margin over a 32G
- Question: Mike Wren
Rene or Andy, how heavy did the iPhone 6 Plus "feel"? Does the thinness make up for some of the huge size/weight?
- Answer: Andy: I did not feel like the 6 Plus was super super heavy.
- Question: Jeffrey Jamieson, Chilliwack, BC
What are your favorite iOS8 optimized apps that will be released day 1?
- Answer: Andy: The ones I can't talk about (NDA's)
- Question: Eric Dichiara
Will we finally see an update to the Apple TV this fall?
- Answer: Rene: Next spring
- Question: Anthony Perri
Will we get a Mac event this fall?
- Answer: Rene: If the Mac products are ready
Picks of the Week
- Andy's pick: iWerks Folding Bluetooth Keyboard for $40
- Verbatim Folding Keyboard for $41
- Looking for a keyboard ala Palm style keyboard for the new iPhones
- Alex's pick: EditReady (Mac OSX) for $50
- Program for decompressing video into an editable form
- Edited by:
|This area is for use by TWiT staff only. Please do not add or edit any content within this section.|