MacBreak Weekly 423
From The Official TWiT Wiki
Topic: October 17th Event, Gates talks digital payment systems, New interim Apple PR head, GT Advance files for bankruptcy, Hairgate? and more.
Recorded: October 7, 2014
Published: October 7, 2014
- 1 MacBreak Weekly 423: Pretty and Easy to Use
- 2 Sponsors
- 3 Production Information
MacBreak Weekly 423: Pretty and Easy to Use
October 17th Event, Gates talks digital payment systems, New interim Apple PR head, GT Advance files for bankruptcy, Hairgate? and more.
- Leo Laporte ( /Google+)
- Alex Lindsay ( /Google+)
- Rene Ritchie ( /about.me)
- Andy Ihnatko ( /Google+)
Apple Event - Oct 17
- Leo: Has either Andy or Rene received invites from Apple yet? (NO)
- Andy: It's a Town Hall event, and as such will be smaller
- Alex: Live Stream? Unknown. Nobody I know that was even remotely associated with the Sept 9 event will talk to me about it
- Leo: Large sized iPad?
- Rene: Next spring if at al
- Andy: I don't think Apple will release it unless they have a very specific purpose for it
- Leo: An OS X / iOS hybrid?
- Rene: They are just trying to get Yosemite out the door, they have had no time to develop a hybrid
- Leo: Who is the Micheal Report? (Micheal Mitchel) and do we trust him?
- Rene: I don't know about him, but nothing in the article is out of the possibility.
- Leo: The report says not just iPads will be released, but also iMacs with Retina Displays
- Andy: It would be interesting how it will affect the whole iMac lineup
- Leo: Things to expect at event: Yosemite should be released, iOS 8.1 and ApplePay, iPads (Air and Mini), MacMini?, lots of updated Apple software
iOS 8 adoption rate at 47%
- Leo: Adoption rate as slowed/stalled for the last 2 weeks
- Rene: After last years release of iOS 7 and all the problems, people have learned to wait for such major upgrades
- Andy: iOS 8 was a complete rebuild of the iOS and there will be issues that are not apparent until after a large group of "typical" users start using it
- Leo: Does the iOS 8.01 problem have anything to do with it?
- Alex: It does, but once there is an app that required iOS 8 to run that you cannot live without, then we will see that adoption rate increase (ie ApplePay)
- Leo: Apple needs to step up and show ApplePay is safer to use than any other method
iOS 8 flaws
- Leo: Not to belabor the issues, but a few things need to be mentioned: The MAC address randomization (broken)
- Rene: Steve Arnot tested this, appears to work when iPhone is sleeping
- Leo: Private browsing not so private?
- Rene: That is from an iOS 7 feature that screen shot the last window so when you returned it would have something to show.
Steve Dowling chosen as Apple's interim head of PR
- Leo: Replaced Katie Cotton
- Leo: GT Advanced filed Chapter 11 protection. Didn't Apple buy these guys?
- Alex: Apple seems to have bought the building, then leased it back to the company. I think what happened was they were almost in the right place at the right time, invested mega $$ to ramp production and then didn't make the "bid"
- Leo: According to WSJ, the CEO sold shares the day before the iPhone was released
- Rene: There will be sapphire glass on the Edition and mid-range Apple Watch models
- Leo: People are just being whiney!
- Rene: Christina Warren made a video showing that this is a NON-ISSUE
iPhone 6/6+ camera
- Leo: The panorama is outstanding
- Alex: The A8 processor is analyzing the image, pixel by pixel constantly to create a truly seamless image
- Andy: This is by far the absolute best camera in a phone today.
- Ales: How is the low-light resolution?
- Andy: A huge leap over the 5s and Apple has solved the issues with low light imagery. And the new image adjustment features in the Photos app is phenomenal.
- Leo: HyperLapse is great.
- Rene: Super Slo-Mo is just as good.
Picks of the Week
- Alex's pick: Livescribe 3 Smartpen Pro for iOS for $199
- Lets the user write notes on a special note pad, but it transfers to an app on an iPad
- Rene's pick: Screen VNC for iOS for $19.99
- Ability to remotely control your computer from an iPhone or iPad
- Also Videos from Cingleton for free
- Videos from the conference in Montreal (smart people talking about smart stuff)
- Andy's pick: Transmit iOS for iOS $9.99
- FTP app
- Edited by:
|This area is for use by TWiT staff only. Please do not add or edit any content within this section.|