Hosts: Leo Laporte
Topic: Internet and Web 2.0
Debut: November 7th, 2006
Duration: ~60 minutes
Set: TWiT Cottage
net@night, hosted by Amber MacArthur and Leo Laporte, was an audio netcast on the TWiT network. It focused on news related to Web 2.0. The format was normally a conversation between Amber and Leo. They discussed Web sites, Web applications, social media, viral videos and podcasts among other Web 2.0 topics. They usually featured a guest interview in each show. On March 28, 2011 the show was cancelled and was replaced by The Social Hour, which will primarily focus on social media. Sarah Lane replaced Leo as the co-host on the new show.
net@night began as a podcast with a different name: Inside the Net. Inside the Net was similar to net@night, but with more of an emphasis on interviewing guests. It debuted in November 2005. A year later, after 39 episodes, the show was redesigned and rebranded net@nite. Initially, the new show was based around listener interaction, with the show broadcast live via TalkShoe. Fans were able to call in and take part in the conversation, offering stories of their experiences related to the Web. At the end of the live TalkShoe broadcasts Leo would usually take all the fans who had called in off mute so they could all say "goodnight" together. The TalkShoe broadcast was recorded and distributed as a podcast a few days later. With Amber and Leo finding it increasingly difficult to maintain a regular broadcast schedule, the show went on hiatus and was revamped again. On Nov. 7, 2007, the new net@nite was released, as it is in its current format, which focuses more on a conversation about what's new and popular on the Web. Early in 2009 the spelling of the show was changed from Net@Nite to Net@Night to put an end to years of confusion.
In March of 2011 it was announced that the show would be renamed to The Social Hour and continue to be hosted by Amber MacArthur with Sarah Lane joining on as a full time co-host. The show will move to Mondays at 2pm Eastern/11am Pacific and continue to focus on whats happening in the world of social media.
The current opening theme music was originally written as a tribute to Joe Satriani named 'Satriani Style' by Michael Moniz. When 'Inside The Net' became 'net@night', Paul Minshall wrote the current closing theme music 'Miami Sunset' to go with the new night time feel.
Below are recent episodes you can download or watch.
- Net@night 230 – SXSWasted – Trends and news from SXSW 2011, How social media and the internet helped Japan in time of crisis, and more.
- Net@night 229 – Guy Kawasaki and Enchantment – YouTube acuires NextNewNetworks, Facebook launches movie rentals, Guy Kawasaki talks about his new book, Enchantment, and more.
- Net@night 227 – Ze Frank – The future of .ly when Libya goes offline, Facebook redefines relationship status, Nordstorm takes a look at HauteLook, and Ze Frank talks about star.me and more.
- Net@night 226 – Rypple – Oreo goes after Guinness Record for Facebook, the power of Placebo effect, Ripple's founder Daniel Debow makes waves at the work place, and more.
- Net@night 225 – Sprouter – AOL buys HuffPo, Ze Frank launches Star.me, playing homeless, Sprouter, and more.
More episodes can be viewed and downloaded here
Below are detailed show notes for released episodes. These are updated as soon as possible as time allows and/or as much community effort is put into them.
- Net@night 230 – SXSWasted
- Net@night 229 – Guy Kawasaki and Enchantment
- Net@night 228 – Convore
- Net@night 227 – Ze Frank
- Net@night 226 – Rypple
- Net@night 225 – Sprouter
Additional show notes for Net@night can be found here.