From The Official TWiT Wiki
Recorded: October 30, 2011
Published: October 31, 2011
This Week In Tech 325: Squeezing Little Lemons
- Leo Laporte ( )
- John C. Dvorak ( )
- Jolie O' Dell ( )
- Ed Bott ( )
- New media model, Google Transparency Report, Microsoft tablet tribulation, HP's u-turn, the huge milieu, and more.
- A Sister’s Eulogy for Steve Jobs
- Mona Simpson delivered this eulogy for her brother, Steve Jobs, at his memorial service
- In the battle for the living room, the ghost of Steve Jobs looms large
- The major battles in the post-PC era will be fought just about any place where people watch movies and TV programs and listen to music.
- Netflix Takes Up 32.7% of Internet Bandwidth
- Sandvine Intelligent Broadband Networks’ report analyzed 200 Internet service providers in 80 countries and found that real-time entertainment apps take up 60% of peak downstream traffic.
- YouTube launches broad entertainment venture
- Google, Inc. said Friday that it's launching more than 100 new video channels, partnering with an array of Hollywood production companies, celebrities and new media groups.
- A decade's worth of Windows mistakes that changed Microsoft (for better and worse)
- An unvarnished history of Windows over the last decade turns up its fair share of failures and big mistakes.
- Google warns that rate limits, overage fees are coming to Google Maps API
- Google says that especially heavy users will probably be better off buying a Maps API Premier subscription rather than paying the overage fees. The company has also indicated that they are willing to make special accommodations for non-profit organizations on a case-by-case basis.
- ars technica.com
- IBM named its new president and chief executive today, Virginia Rometty.
- Rometty currently serves as senior vice president and group executive for sales, marketing and strategy and joined IBM as a systems engineer in 1981.
- Steve Martin turns tweets into book
- The book will be called "The Ten, Make That Nine Habits, of Very Organized People. Make That Ten," and will be a collection of Martin's tweets as well as responses from followers.
- Justin Bieber has condemned legislation to make unauthorized streaming a felony punishable by five years in prison, calling it "ridiculous."
- The legislation in question was introduced in the Senate in May, and makes it a felony to show 10 or more "public performances" by electronic means in any 180-day period.
- ars technica.com
- "Eileen, I need a sesquipedalian word immediately! And she runs. And she runs over with 'salubrious.'"
- -- Leo
| Steve Jobs: The Exclusive Biography by Walter Isaacson (UNABRIDGED)|
Narrated by Dylan Baker, Walter Isaacson
|Neil Gaiman Presents by|
- Edited by: --Brownie 11:26, 30 October 2011 (PDT)
|This area is for use by TWiT staff only. Please do not add or edit any content within this section.|