TWiT Eastside Studio FAQ
The following is a Frequently Asked Questions list for the new TWiT Eastside Studio.
- 1 Basic Questions
- 2 Building Questions
- 3 Recording Studio Questions
- 3.1 Why were parts of the studio wall unpainted when the studio opened?
- 3.2 What sets are there and what sets will there be?
- 3.3 What will go in that window to the right of the TWiT Gear?
- 3.4 What's Leo's new clock behind him in his office?
- 3.5 What's Leo's other new clock that shows the time, temperature, and Twitter?
- 4 Other Questions
Where is the TWiT Eastside Studio?
The studio is located at 1351-B Redwood Way, Petaluma, CA 94954. If you want to visit, please read our page on TWiT Eastside Studio Directions and Info.
Why is it named "Eastside"?
It's on the east side of Petaluma. Ironically, it's actually further west than the TWiT Brick House.
Also, Leo said during This Week in Tech that he liked the "Movin' On Up" song from The Jeffersons.
Why did TWiT move from the TWiT Brick House?
The landlord sold the building that housed the TWiT Brick House and what was formerly The Social Club Restaurant & Bar to a San Diego company that planned to open a brew pub named "The Patio in Petaluma". As of early 2017, those plans had fallen through. Although TWiT had an option to extend the lease, the landlord wanted to raise the rent and begin charging for the basement space as well (even though, by law, it could not be used as permanent office or studio space). It was determined it would be better to move to a new space.
Later, The Patio Petaluma announced "after learning more about Petaluma’s community’s hopes, needs, and concerns, we will not be moving forward with The Patio Petaluma. However, using the community’s input as a guide, we have decided to branch our ideas into two new directions, which we feel will be a better fit for Petaluma. We are proud to announce our new concepts, Cultivate and Chicken Pharm." Chicken Pharm's address is listed as the same address as the former Social Club restaurant which was next door to the TWiT Brick House.
As of September 2017, the Brick House space is still vacant and looks almost exactly as it was left.
When did the move happen?
TWiT officially moved on August 21, 2016.
- The last show done live from the Brick House was The Tech Guy episode 1316.
- TWiT Live Specials episode 297 features the ride from the Brick House to the Eastside Studio.
- The first show done live from the Eastside Studio was This Week in Tech episode 576.
- The last show to air which was entirely recorded at the Brick House was Know How... episode 238.
- The last show to feature new footage recorded at the Brick House was a segment of The New Screen Savers.
Does the new studio have air conditioning?
Yes. With separate zones for the studio and offices, it's really much more comfortable than the Brick House was.
Does the new studio have wi-fi?
Yes. Visitors can connect to a guest network. If you're visiting, look for the password on the wall above the studio door. (We're not going to post it here.)
Who provides TWiT's Internet?
How long is the lease?
Recording Studio Questions
Why were parts of the studio wall unpainted when the studio opened?
Those unpainted parts were covered with bricks after a couple weeks.
What sets are there and what sets will there be?
The sets (using old Brick House names) are currently:
- The Round Table (which is more of a "D"-shaped table now) - starting with TWiT 576
- Radio Corner - starting with Know How 239
- Leo's Office - starting with The Tech Guy 1317
- News Desk - starting with Tech News Today 1592
- Living Room - starting with Triangulation 264
- The living room has an alternate configuration with a high-top table first used on iOS Today 315
- TD Desk (for TD shots, The Giz Fiz, or if Padre ever decides to revive Padre's Corner)
The only set lost from the Brick House studio is the "Sky Desk", which was infrequently used. The iOS Today configuration of the Living Room set is a replacement for that.
What will go in that window to the right of the TWiT Gear?
This window features a clock (because TWiT viewers seem to love clocks) and a tinted glass look. There is space behind this window (as well as the window with the TWiT gear) for lighting...and for Burke to nap.
What's Leo's new clock behind him in his office?
Leo's studio now uses the Marathon CL030056BK Jumbo Atomic Wall Clock with Temperature and Humidity. You can get your own on Amazon.
What's Leo's other new clock that shows the time, temperature, and Twitter?
That's the LaMetric Time clock.
Will the TWiT intro used as part of the studio launch be put at the start of episodes going forward?
This became the opening for TWiT Bits.
What's up with the audio stream?
The digital audio gear took some time to be installed and configured, but it's working now.
Will the intro to The New Screen Savers be updated with the new studio
It's likely to get updated at some point.
Can I visit?
Yes. However, we are a working office and everyone is busy so please don't just drop by unannounced and expect a tour. For visiting information, refer to TWiT Eastside Studio Directions and Info.