Tech News Today
Hosts: Mike Elgan
Topic: Tech News
Debut: June 1, 2010
Recorded: Weekdays 10:00am Pacific
Released: Weekdays 5:00pm Pacific
Duration: ~30 minutes
Set: The News Room
Tech News Today is the TWIT network's first daily tech news show. The original hosting panel included former CNET personality Tom Merritt, abc news correspondent Becky Worley (Tue-Thu), and Tech News 2Night anchor Sarah Lane (Mon/Fri) with producer Erik Lanigan. After Becky's departure, Sarah Lane began co-hosting every weekday. After Lanigan's departure, Jason Howell took over as producer. Later Iyaz Akhtar joined as co-host though, due to the limiting factors of space and equipment, he could only be on air when there was not another in studio guest. Starting in June 2012 the show format was changed, opening with The News Fuse daily headlines in order to open up more time for discussion of the top stories.
In December 2013, Iyaz and Tom both left TWiT. Mike Elgan was hired as News Director and took over hosting bringing with him a major format change. In February, Sarah Lane began anchoring Tech News 2Night and stopped co-hosting Tech News Today. While there are many recurring guest co-hosts, there has not been a replacement for Sarah's position.
The show currently airs live weekdays at 10:00am PT/1:00pm ET with the on demand download available later in the day.
- Mike Elgan, Host (starting on episode 913)
- Jason Howell, producer
- Tom Merritt, Host (through episode 912)
- Sarah Lane, Co-Host (through episode 941)
- Iyaz Akhtar, Co-Host (through episode 911)
- Darren Kitchen (Most Fridays through December 2013)
- Dr Kiki Sanford (Former co-host on Thursdays) Link
- Becky Worley (Former co-host on Tuesdays-Thursdays)
- Live countdown (tons of them!) Rick Kelvington
- Patent Wars Justin Salzer (Video) | Chris Lane (Music)
- Calendar Grant Garrison
- Rumor Mill Grant Garrison
- Incoming Tim Witters
- News Fuse (Original, 2011 Michael Bay inspired) C.J. Land
- News Fuse (Brick House inspired, Dramatic Chipmunk, Zelda) Martin Anderson
- News Fuse (TWiT logo walking) Greg Newsome
- (260) TNT-SHOW sound drop Dan Lueders
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Voicemail: 1-260-TNT-SHOW (260-868-7469)
Below are recent episodes you can download or watch.
- Tech News Today 911 – 2014 Predictions – A fresh new year means a fresh new batch of tech predictions!
- Tech News Today 910 – 2013 Prediction Results – The crew check in on their predictions for 2013 to see how good (and how bad) they did.
- Tech News Today 909 – Best of 2013 – A super duper mega-cut of some of the best moments from Tech News Today in 2013, both from the show as well as from the pre-show.
- Tech News Today 908 – Open Mic – The crew invites three fans of the show to tell us all about who they are, why they listen, and what they love about tech.
- Tech News Today 907 – Hope for the Llama – NSA told to back off cell phone metadata, Yahoo is/isn't making its own Siri, Bill gates wins Christmas, and more.
- Tech News Today 906 – Bitcoinvoluted – NSA told to back off cell phone metadata, Yahoo is/isn't making its own Siri, Bill gates wins Christmas, and more.
More episodes can be viewed and downloaded here
Below are detailed show notes for released episodes. These are updated as soon as possible as time allows and/or as much community effort is put into them.
- Tech News Today 911 – 2014 Predictions
- Tech News Today 910 – 2013 Prediction Results
- Tech News Today 909 – Best of 2013
- Tech News Today 908 – Open Mic
- Tech News Today 907 – Hope for the Llama
- Tech News Today 906 – Bitcoinvoluted
Additional show notes for Tech News Today can be found here
- Official Site
- Tom Merritt's blog post announcing the show
- Becky Worley's tweet about being a regular on TNT
- Download TNT Theme Music
- The Tech News Today Subreddit