Tech News Today 100
Recorded: October 20, 2010
Published: October 20, 2010
Tech News Today 100: Thin Edge Of The Wedge
What you didn't hear from Apple, Mozilla's app store, Samsung's hole in the head, and more.
- FaceTime coming to the Mac. Beta available today.
- Preview of next Mac OS X, Lion. Jobs calls it Mac OS X meets the iPad. Better multitouch, a Mac app store. "mission control" and "launch pad" window
- New MacBook Airs The 11 inch model will be $999 with 64GB of memory. $1199 for 128GB. 13-inch MBA 128 $1299 and 256 GB $1599. Available today.
- Fox has taken their local stations off of cable for three million New York city area Cablevision subscribers. That meant no championship baseball yesterday, but the FCC stepped into fill the gap. Sort of. The regulatory agency posted 4 times on its Twitter account with updates about the game and linked to a page that showed consumers how to set up an antennae to get free over the air broadcasts of the blocked stations.
- Recycling has been suggested as a way to avoid running out of IP addresses before everyone makes the switch to IPV6. well Interop has returned 99 percent of the 45.x.x.x block to ARIN. IN layman's terms, more IP addresses back int he pool that could hold us over for an extra month.
- The Register reports that the domain name sex.com is set to be sold for $13m, around what it was purchased for in 2006. Bankrupt Escom LLC sex.com's current owner, will transfer the domain to a company called Clover Holdings Ltd, from the island of St. Vincent, according to documents filed this week in a California court.
- Starting today, Starbucks launches the free Starbucks Digital Network, developed in connection with Yahoo and delivering free access to subscription news sources (including The Wall Street Journal), music from iTunes, wellness articles from Rodale, check-ins via Foursquare and reviews from Zagat. All over WiFi to whatever device you've got.
- Chillingo, publisher of Angry Birds and Cut the Rope games for smart phones will be acquired by Electronic Arts for $20 million. EA is not acquiring the developer of Angry Birds, Rovio. But the acquisition will give EA more presence on mobile devices.
- After one too many Facebook privacy-violation flaps, Google engineer Brian Kennish, created “Facebook Disconnect” i.e. a Google Chrome extension that obliterates all Facebook Connect functionality and all traffic from third party sites to Facebook servers if you're using the Chrome browser.
- I may actually need a hole in my head more than I need a new mobile OS. But Samsung is reportedly working on a new platform that will power both mobile devices and TVs. Details are sparse with no target launch date. Here's hoping it's just a smoke screen for Samsung taking a greater hand in Android development.
Kickers and Weird Science
"Just a word on your Starcraft ban story yesterday. The guy was banned for using a 3rd party trainer that modifies the Starcraft .exe. Blizzard provides cheat codes for singleplayer, but these disable achievements. So really, this guy was trying to get his achievements without earning them. If he wanted to chat with his friends while messing around in the singleplayer, the game already provides a means to do that.
Andrew in New Jersey"
"Thanks to everybody who wrote in with their opinion on News Fuse. Turns out most of you love it just as it is, but we're always open to hearing about ways it could work better. Glen has some constructive criticism. ---""Tom and crew,
What I don't like is that you feel some need to read them so fast. Being an introvert and thoughtful man I like to take a few seconds to process the information that you are communicating. All I ask is that you just slow down the reading just a tad. Why the rush? And then add just one or two sentences explaining what the headline means. I look to you as professional broadcast journalist just to add a little something extra as to what the headlines you are reading in the news fuse means. We want to know what you think about the headline, just not the headline, give us content, even if it is just brief, and read slower so we can comprehend what you are talking about.
Been listening every day since show #1.
v/r Glen H. Kilgore"
"I am sure you'll get this from quite a few people but, congrats on show 100! (BTW Jason you are a welcome addition to the TNT crew.)
Tenaciously and triumphantly texting tangents towards Ted's ""tubes"". (Ted here being Ted Stevens. RIP)
Chris Portland, Oregon."
- Sync #8
- ad times: :35-:48 and 10:59-12:29
- Edited by: Jason
|This area is for use by TWiT staff only. Please do not add or edit any content within this section.|