Tech News Today 56
Recorded: August 18, 2010
Published: August 18, 2010
Tech News Today 56: Arc Of The Banana Mouse
Google Chrome OS tablet, Broadband speed lies, and the Microsoft banana mouse.
- Microsoft makes a return to Flight Microsoft's Flight Simulator is set to make a comeback.
Kickers and Weird Science
- September 13-14, 2010, San Francisco, CA: APPNATION is the first global conference and exposition to focus exclusively on the burgeoning consumer applications marketplace.
- TWiT at Dragon*Con. Meetup tentatively for Saturday night September 4
- Jose - Our first caller has some news about Quake
- Dave - Our next caller has a solution for the God Squad
- Hi TNT crew
Re wifi and health. Tom, you basically got it right. For a detailed discussion about where the science is at, at the moment, and the plausibility of wifi posing a health risk, I strongly recommend this blog entry by Neurologist (and science podcaster) Steven Novella:
All the best
- Hey TNT Crew,
The guy from the Navy on yesterday's show did have a good idea about randomizing the keypad for security reasons to prevent smudge attacks. However, that would not work on Android phones. The unlock screen is just a bunch of dots, so you can't randomize them - they all look the same! (Of course, maybe they DO randomize them, and no one knows it but Google.) I believe the best security feature would be to *require* that at least one dot be used twice in the pattern. They have a strength meter on their passwords, maybe they need to consider a strength meter for unlock patterns too.
Keep up the great work! - Jason from Rochester, NY
- Hi Tom and crew,
I wanted to comment on the discussion the other day about preferring text messaging over voice calls and the idea that text messaging will overtake voice minutes as the primary option in cellphone plans.
What about instant messaging? As more people get smart phones capable of running IM clients don't you see more and more people ditching expensive text messaging for instant messaging that would use your data plan?
Love the show!
- I really don't want to clutter your inbox, but I thought you'd enjoy
this. Turns out I was spotted by a fellow geek while recording your video:
Have a great show!
- squarespace.com offer code tnt
- ad times: 01:07-01:17 and 23:19-24:26
- Gazelle.com, bonus code: TNT
- Gazelle #5
- ad times: 00:56-01:07 and 10:31-12:40
- Edited by: Erik
- Notes: Mediafly publish: 7:55
|This area is for use by TWiT staff only. Please do not add or edit any content within this section.|