Tech News Today 99
Recorded: October 19, 2010
Published: October 19, 2010
Tech News Today 99: Ninjabread men
Microsoft Office 365, Steve Jobs gets ranty and a hot new Palm phone and OS!
- Tom Merritt ( )
- Becky Worley ( )
- Veronica Belmont ( )
- Jason Howell
- There will be 5.3 billion mobile cellular subscriptions in the world by the end of the year and 90% of the world's population now has access to mobile networks, according to the International Telecommunication Union (ITU), in its "The World in 2010" report. Deployment of 3G has grown significantly in both developed and developing countries, with 143 countries offering 3G services in 2010 compared with 95 in 2007
- "oh say can you see" I won't get all "american" and patriotic on you but Intel sure is rolling out the old red white and blue. The chip maker says it plans to build out chip development and fabrication facilities in the US for its future 22 nanometer PC and server chips. they say they will spend over $8bn and create thousands of jobs in the process
- Engadget reports that a fellow called Phawx at BrainLazy decided to take an X-Acto knife to his Epic 4G's keypad in order to make the thing a little friendlier to gaming. This guy Phawx simply pulled out the unused keys, made a few small cosmetic tweaks, and voila, a gamepad slider. Why wait for the PSP Phone?!
- Her Majesty's government is free to meddle in the marketplace. Regulator Ofcom has rejected calls by private corporations to investigate YouView. YouView was formed to create a next-generation set top box jointly owned by government-subsidized broadcasters and others. It bundles TV content with a TiVo-like box for £150 and £300. Expect it on sale next spring.
- Facebook's privacy woes continue, representatives Ed Markey from Massachusetts and Joe Barton from Texas have sent a letter to Facebook CEO mark Zuckerberg asking him for more information on the sharing of users personal data. keep in mind they sent practically the same letter to Apple, Google, answers,com and a host of others whenever they have had privacy flaps in the news.
- More companies suffer from electronic theft than from physical theft, according to poll results from consultancy Kroll. That's the first time virtual beat out physical. The theft of information or electronic assets was reported by 27.3 percent of companies over the past 12 months, up from 18 percent in 2009. The theft of physical assets inched down to 27.2 percent from 28 percent last year.
Kickers and Weird Science
- 11 days til halloween, 37 days til black friday, 66 days til christmas, 78 days til CES
- Fallout:New Vegas in stores now
- Apple announcement tomorrow at 10 AM Pacific, we'll cover it right here.
"Love the show. Maybe I'm in the minority but why should I care if my Facebook info is shared. All that's on it that is personal is my name, town I live in, the town I grew up in and my email address. My name and town is in a public phone book. My email, what's that going to lead to? more spam? I doubt I'd notice. Mostly what I do on Facebook is post links to interesting things, and random statuses about what I'm up to. What are people putting on Facebook that is so sensitive?
Aaron Valparaiso, NE"
"Dear Tom and all of TNT,
To make a long, boring story short, I listen to podcasts from iTunes all day long at work to allow myself to focus on the my deep thought work amongst a sea of craziness. That means I have 40 hours of podcasting programming to fill. I love Leo, I especially love TWIG and I was (and still am a fan of BOL) and of course TNT, of which is the focus of this e-mail.
I avoided sounding off on my initial knee jerk reaction of dislike for the ""News Fuse"" and decided to give it some time. Well that time has elapsed and I like it even less. But I'm afraid I hesitated too long to have an influence. To me the ""News Fuse"" might as well be called, ""A superficial reading of a bunch of news headlines that I have to look up anyway to get any kind of explanation or understanding"".
Take my complaint how you will, but I had to get this off my chest and I feel better having just done that. I still listen to your show (at least the first half, I mean its kind of hard to find 40 hours every week of good podcasting) but as soon as the ""News Fuse"" kicks in, I just go over to BOL and pick up where you guys left of.
- Sync #8
- ad times: :37-:48 and 13:19-14:25
- Carbonite.com offer code TNT
- Carb #3
- ad times:48-:58 and 27:38-29:04
- Edited by: Jason
|This area is for use by TWiT staff only. Please do not add or edit any content within this section.|