The Social Hour 9
Recorded: May 23, 2011
Published: May 23, 2011
The Social Hour 9: LinkedIN IPO, Blippy Fades Away, Namesake, Groupon and Foursquare Uniting?
Amber and Sarah on LinkedIn's IPO and the impending bubble, Blippy fades away, Groupon and Foursquare might be teaming up, is Namesake a Twitter/Quora hybrid? Is Visibli Rad or Fad? All that and more!
- LinkedIN IPOs
- stock price dropped from original high today
- Russian internet search company Yandex is IPOing May 24th, will raise its offer price.... bubble talk continues
- Blippy's failure - does anyone want to share financial info socially?
- pivoted into product reviews site at some point
- Toyota teams up with Salesforce.com for private social network - is "closed" the future of networks?
- Groupon in talks with Foursquare (rumour) - would this make Foursquare more mainstream?
- from Ryan Ozawa, AKA @hawaii on Twitter: "Has @Namesake started spreading in TWiT yet? Like hotcakes out here."
- cross between Twitter and Quora
- connect to folks, "follow" conversations, endorse others' expertise"
"I am responding to your discussion about tumblr in episode 5. I have been a tumblr user for more than 2 years, but I feel out of place there in comparison to twitter and Facebook.
A lot of people who use tumblr are not only younger (in the 14-22 age range) but use it as a secretive social network. Since twitter and Facebook have made the critical mass, everyone including their parents use it, they treat it as a way to express themselves. Sometimes younger people use it in a way to become too revealing and they don't realize what they say or do can hurt them down the road. I myself, feel a bit out of place there since I am a bit older. I just wanted to let you know you aren't alone. -Justin Leon"
"Between Flickr and Twtitter and Facebook, I also have on my iPhone PicPlz, Instagram, Foursquare, and Color. Is there such a thing as to much social?
I like to share my pictures, but not everyone can see my Facebook account. I have friends that use Instagram but not PicPlz. Some follow me on Twitter, but not on Foursquare. Can having to many social apps be a bad thing?
RAD OR FAD?
- Link URL and optional brief description
- ad times: :36 - :50 and 18:48 - 23:02
- Netflix -1
- ad times: :50 - 1:03 and 39:30 - 42:21
- ad times: 1:03 - 1:12 and 58:40 - 1:01:41
- Edited by: Jeff
|This area is for use by TWiT staff only. Please do not add or edit any content within this section.|