This WEEK in GOOGLE 119
From The Official TWiT Wiki
Guest: Matt Haughey
Recorded: November 2, 2011
Published: November 3, 2011
This WEEK in GOOGLE 119: It's Not Lying, It's Misinformation
- Leo Laporte ( • )
- Gina Trapani ( • )
- Jeff Jarvis ( • )
- Matt Haughey
- Google changing Google Reader, Google mail and integrating Google+ into them
- The changing ways of how people consume content on the web
- The Verge a beautifully made site, but Leo wonders if people still go to websites? Don't they get their content from Google+, Facebook and Twitter?
- Good example of that: The Guardian's and the Washington Post's integration with Facebook.
- Shouldn't content come to us where ever we want to read it? Jeff refers to Elizabeth Eisenstein who talks about the time before the printing press when traveling monks went to where the manuscripts were.
- The pressure on blogs and podcasts to serve bigger and bigger audiences
- Haughey Number: 10.000. The ideal size of a community, because if a group of people is this big then whatever problem you have at least someone in that group has also experienced it.
- Leo's number: for media/podcasts the number is bigger, around 100.000 - 250.000
- Gmail app for iOS pulled from market
- Google TV
- Matt's PVRblog
- Survey says many parents lie to help their kids get on Facebook
- Jeff's piece about this: Do We Really Need to Protect Children From the Internet
- Mog, the music subscription service, has seen it's numbers go up because of listeners sharing music via Facebook.
"We Do A Little Thing At The End"
- Gina's tip of the week:
- Google is more transparant about why it is serving you the ads you see. Next to the Google ads you get a link saying 'Why these ads', which sends you to an ads preference manager where you can set your preferences.
- Leo: when someone shows up in your search results you can add directly them to your Google+ circles.
- Jeff's number of the week:
- 300.000 , the number of people who signed an online petition to beat down Bank of America's $5 debit card fee.
- Gina mentions the petition to forgive student loan debt.
- Leo's tool of the week:
And Best of TwiT 2011 has started, you can submit you best TwiT moment.
To suggest a link for the show, tag it on Delicious.com as "for:twit" AND "twig". Find the links here: http://delicious.com/twit/twig
- Edited by:
|This area is for use by TWiT staff only. Please do not add or edit any content within this section.|