This WEEK in GOOGLE 6
Guest: Matt Cutts
Recorded: September 5, 2009
Published: September 5, 2009
This WEEK in GOOGLE 6: All Your O's Are Belong To Us
Gmail goes down, Snow Leopard, Dropbox, Google News, Book Search, Tivo, and more.
- Leo Laporte ( • )
- Gina Trapani ( • )
- Jeff Jarvis ( • )
- Matt Cutts ( • )
- Gmail goes down (Link to blog post on Gmail Blog
- 5 Things We Learned From the Gmail Outage
- Gmail incident report
- Print media get mad at Google.
- Google Book Search causing a outrage with US Publishers and Authors. Google Scanning books without permission. Google is scanning 32 million in and out of print books.
- Movies on YouTube (Video)
- How Google Ranks News (Video on Guardian.co.uk)
- HTC Hero on Sprint
Links to Dropbox, Android, Google Voice, Google Wave, Blogger and Google Chrome are in External Links
"We Do A Little Thing At The End"
- Gina's tip of the week:
- TWiG Tip: Sync Your Google Calendar to iCal in One Step. Revised from live show by Gina: iCal DOES support secondary Google calendars.
- Jeff's stat of the week:
- 1 and 51. 1 = Google News added Arabic to its languages. 51 = Google Translate now has 51 languages. New Languages added are; Afrikaans, Belarusian, Icelandic, Irish, Macedonian, Malay, Swahili, Welsh and Yiddish.
- Leo's tool of the week:
Wish List (What the panelists wish Google would do)
- Leo: Google Wave invite and to be able to send invites out to family and friends on Google Voice.
- Gina: None
- Jeff: Google Wave invite+
To suggest a link for the show, tag it on Delicious.com as "for:twit" AND "twig". Find the links here: http://delicious.com/twit/twig
- Official TWiG Site
- FriendFeed conversations room
- Story Links on Delicious
- Listen for Android
- Google Voice
- Google Wave
- Google Chrome
- Recorded Date: September 5, 2009
- Release Date: September 5, 2009
- Duration: 01:20:23
- Log line:
- Edited by: Erik
- Removed dead air while connecting to guest at 13:28.
- Removed Gina's factual error re iCal at 01:14:39 at her request.
- Used PGM1 track because Matt Cutts was not recorded on own track.
- Used hard limiter with +4dB gain in lieu of compressor because track was already so compressed.