This Week in Tech
Hosts: Leo Laporte
Topic: Roundtable technology news and reviews discussion
Debut: April 17, 2005
Recorded: Sun 3:00pm Pacific
Released: within 24hrs
Duration: 60 to 120 minutes
Set: Round Table
This Week in Tech (also known as TWiT) is the flagship show of the TWiT network. It was the network's first show, and it focuses on technology news, often from the prior week, and reviews. It is an audio podcast presented in a round-table fashion. In addition to host Leo Laporte, who has appeared in nearly every episode, the show features a panel of usually two to five guests, which changes regularly. Some panelists appear more regularly than others. On occasion, the show has also had some famous guests such as Steve Wozniak (35), John Hodgman (167), and LeVar Burton (177, 185).
This WEEK in TECH started in 2005 as a chance recording of a group of former TechTV employees talking about Macworld Expo, which they were all currently attending. Radio show host Leo Laporte put the recording on his website. Laporte was surprised by its demand, leading him to think that there might be something in the format. A few months later, the first episode of the podcast was released, then known as 'Revenge of the Screen Savers' in reference to a former TechTV show. The show was later renamed to 'This WEEK in TECH' after the holder of the rights to the 'Screen Savers' name complained. The show's name is often shortened to TWiT.
- Leo Laporte
- Fr. Robert Ballecer occasional
- Jason Calacanis occasional
- John C. Dvorak occasional
- Mike Elgan occasional
- Sarah Lane occasional
- Tom Merritt occasional
- Patrick Norton occasional
- Jason Snell occasional
- Molly Wood occasional
- Becky Worley occasional
- John C. Dvorak 243 as panelist, 2 as host
- Patrick Norton 124 as panelist, 4 as host
- Wil Harris 60 as panelist
- Kevin Rose 56 as panelist
- Robert Heron 55 as panelist
- David Prager 49 as panelist
- Tom Merritt 37 as panelist, 9 as host
- Dwight Silverman 44 as panelist
- Roger Chang 41 as panelist
- Jason Calacanis 36 as panelist, 3 as host
- Brian Brushwood 38 as panelist
Rathole - A point in the show where everybody is so far off topic that John C. Dvorak has to get them back on track.
Donkey of the Week - A weekly award celebrating the most boneheaded decision, news story, or action covered by TWiT. It has only been given out once.
Recent episodes can be viewed and downloaded here
Below are detailed show notes for released episodes. These are updated as soon as possible as time allows and/or as much community effort is put into them.
- TWiT 370 – Take the Gun, Leave the Nokia
- TWiT 369 – The Purple Rubber Band
- TWiT 368 – The Zombie Slayer
- TWiT 367 – Welcome to Zombocom
- TWiT 366 – Are You Running Butterplus?
Additional show notes for This Week in Tech can be found here.
The theme for This Week in Tech can be downloaded from here.