This Week in Enterprise Tech 16
From The Official TWiT Wiki
|Hosts: Fr. Robert Ballecer and Brian Chee|
Guest: Louis Maresca
Topic: Enterprise Security, Out of Band, Advanced Firewalls
Recorded: August 20, 2012
Published: October 29, 2012
This Week in Enterprise Tech 16:
Padre introduces guest Louis Maresca from Microsoft to talk about Virtualization.
Twitter Follower Purchasing
- Allows for businesses to get over the initial hump (off the ground) of followers
- Slippery slope, is it socially fraudulent?
Stuff my IT Guy Says
- Lots of types, Multi-mode, Single Mode, etc.
- Cost, throughput, and distance vary.
- Single Mode travels the furthest.
- Multi-mode can support 1 or 10Gbps.
- The laser in multi-mode is much more sensitive to distance/cable bends since multi-mode light bounces off the edges of the cable while single mode travels straight down the center.
- The size, ex. 62.5
- Never cut fiber or look at the light as it is often a laser.
- End of fiber needs to stay clean.
- Allows easier use of the cloud for servers
- Allows for more efficient use of hardware.
- Power supplies are not efficient at low power usage, additional power usage is where a PSU strives.
- CPUs get to be fully utilized even with multiple idling virtual servers.
- Centralizing servers in one off site data-center allows optimization of power and cooling.
- Startups are comfortable with data/services being stored in remote 3rd party virtual servers.
- US Military runs SIPRNet and NIPRNet in the cloud.
- A lot of cloud based services and vendors incorporate CIPA and HIPPA compliance into their policies.
- VPNs with VLANs can limit access to virtual infrastructure resources.
- Hyper-V 2012 includes Bitlocker to create large nodes that have encrypted hard drives.
- Thin clients can be used to save money on workstation thick clients, offloading software processing and updating to the server.
- Do I need to manage all aspects?
- Assess requirements/needs (write them down).
- What uptime is required, SLAs can be negotiated.
Hardware & Software Mentions
- Fluke Fiber light generator.
- Microsoft Hyper-V
- GoToAssist Promo Code: Enterprise
- Ad time:
- RingCentral Promo Code: TWiT
- (800) 543-9980
- Ad Time:
- SAP Social Media Solutions
- Ad time:
- Recorded Date: August 20, 2012
- Release Date: October 29, 2012
- Log line:
- Edited by:
|This area is for use by TWiT staff only. Please do not add or edit any content within this section.|