This Week in Enterprise Tech 37
From The Official TWiT Wiki
|Hosts: Fr. Robert Ballecer, Brian Chee and Curtis Franklin|
Guests: Gerard Powers, Gillian Canty-Ross
Recorded: April 12, 2013
This Week in Enterprise Tech 37:
Enterprise in the Cloud
- SLAs do not provide legal ramifications for financial compensation for downtime. Need true 99.9% uptime (at least).
- Private clouds are still hosted on someone else's server, rack, colo.
- A lot of data int he cloud is not backed up for another site.
- What privacy laws govern the areas that contain the cloud providers servers?
- Enterprise wants to know where their cloud is, but still want to use elastic services.
- Is data in the cloud protected by law, or is it public? The later will kill enterprise in the cloud demand.
- Google has fought back saying data over 180 days is not abandoned and thus requires a proper warrant.
Previously Loved (Used) Network Hardware
- Buying pre-owned gear can save a lot on gear cost, and still get product support.
- Used gear from a notable supplier is vetted and verified.
- OEM warranties are not available for used gear retailers, so the retailers hold their own warranties, including advanced replacement.
- Used suppliers have a larger interest in dependable warranties for return customers.
- UNEDA allys with used equipment dealers to help vet equipment.
- Enterprises are looking for testimonials, from peer companies, of success with lower TCO (Total Cost of Ownership which includes post-sale support costs).
- Enterprise refresh cycles are getting shorter
- Creates as many TCP channels as possible.
- Multipath means packets arrive out of order and time.
- Boost throughput greatly, and can be used over the Internet in the future.
- Intel NUC - Very small Core-i3 netPC.
- Infinitech TV - Set top, comes with equally as small keyboard.
- PQ Labs iStick gives a 32inch Android Tablet when plugged into a monitor
- Hardware cycles between big iron, and small distributed computing
- As the tech evolves we keep "all the best features of the PC"
Hardware & Software Mentions
- Intel NUC
- Infinitech TV
- PQ Labs iStick
- Recorded Date: April 12, 2013
- Release Date:
- Log line:
- Edited by:
|This area is for use by TWiT staff only. Please do not add or edit any content within this section.|