This Week in Enterprise Tech 42
From The Official TWiT Wiki
Topic: Google Fiber, Glass, DDOS for Hire, Enterprise Monitoring, Gateway Protection
Recorded: May 20, 2013
Published: May 20, 2013
This Week in Enterprise Tech 42:
- Google rolling out fiber to neighboring cities in Kansas.
- Privacy concerns surround the expansion of Google as an ISP and service.
- DDOS botnet for rental service supports multiple payment methods.
- Can be used as an open hack tool due to no screening, which risks being shut down.
- White market services would greatly benefit corporations wishing to PEN test.
- Mitigation techniques due exist but often upping bandwidth throughput will mitigate the issue.
- Probably another year until readily available for consumers.
- Possible application of hardware in a rack recognition, with login details for the enterprise.
- Translation apps would be very useful on trips.
- Privacy concerns surround glass using the cloud to deliver services and features.
The Data Closet
- Volunteering at Interop Tim Titus was able to learn from very experience peers.
- Troubleshooting problems in the network is difficult.
- PathSolutions can find error missed by other tools, by looking at 18 error tables using SNMP.
- PathSolutions provides reports and maps to expose issues on the network.
- The answers you get, is limited by the questions your software can ask.
- Enterprises have multiple tools to bring visibility into the network.
- No silver bullet for monitoring service and user experience.
- Monitoring is very useful for proactive support before the user notices.
- Security needed at corporate site, but also on connecting end-points that may have multiple users and compromises.
- Gateway UTMs can filter inter-network traffic for malware.
- SSL Decryption to filter for malware in VPNs, including branch office to corporate P2P VPN connections.
- Solutions need to be transparent (remote management) as most users are not tech savvy.
- Multiple layers of antivirus benefit security.
- Can protect users where the end-point has been compromised, and becomes an internal threat.
- End-point management.
- User education of safe technology practices.
- Educate users on what to look for.
- Users need to be educated on the importance of following safe policies, and the consequences of not following them.
Hardware & Software Mentions
- Ad time:
- MailRoute Promo Code: Enterprise5
- Ad time:
- GoToMeeting Promo Code: Enterprise
- Ad time:
- Recorded Date: May 20, 2013
- Release Date: May 20, 2013
- Log line:
- Edited by:
|This area is for use by TWiT staff only. Please do not add or edit any content within this section.|