Windows Weekly 136
From The Official TWiT Wiki
Recorded: December 24, 2009
Published: December 25, 2009
- PC gaming ... Is it dead? Or just dying?
- Fact: PC gaming represents less than 10 percent of all gaming revenue right now, with consoles at 90 percent. It's not even close.
- I wrote a bit about this but only compared it to the Xbox 360
- It's so much more than that.
- Piracy, cheating, hardware issues, DRM, and so on are all abysmal on PC
- But also other consoles (PS3/Wii) and handheld game consoles (and iPhone/iPod touch)
- And web games -- Facebook, Addictinggames.com, Ninjakiwi.com and many others
- There's still life on the PC, of course
- But it's getting smaller
- And some interesting deals to be had at Steam, Direct2Drive, GOG, and so on
- Microsoft loses Word appeal with i4i
- Will "fix" Word to remove offending code
- No worries about Word being taken off the market
- iPhone is not really the most popular smart phone of 2009 (in US only)
- (RIM and LG both beat it out)
- But .. Come on. This is the platform to beat. 2010 is going to be interesting.
- New Atom platform
- Congratulations, shoppers. Those Christmas presents you just bought are all obsolete
- Kind of a mean thing to do on Intel's part: Announce new chips the week of Christmas, ship them right after New Years.
- Rumors of an Apple TV subscription platform
- This sounds interesting
- But... Has to include all major networks. Must have closed captioning.
- If it works ... Could kill cable.
Tip of the Week
- Save money online with this awesome browser plug-in - Invisible Hand for Firefox and Chrome
- Shows a very discreet notification when the product you're browsing can be bought for a lower price elsewhere. Absolutely priceless. (Pardon the pun.)
Software Pick of the Week
- Blurb and Booksmart Make your own photo book - the ultimate holiday gift. Or a book of any kind
- Link URL and optional brief description
- ad times: 00:00:34-00:00:48 and 01:06:43-01:11:43
| Here's the Deal: Don't Touch Me by Howie Mandel, Josh Young (UNABRIDGED)|
Narrated by Howie Mandel
Ford SYNC #5
- ad times: 00:00:49-00:01:05 and 00:37:00-00:39:44
- Edited by: Erik
|This area is for use by TWiT staff only. Please do not add or edit any content within this section.|