Windows Weekly 152
From The Official TWiT Wiki
Recorded: April 15, 2010
Published: April 16, 2010
- SuperSite Blog gets moderated
- And the silliness ends
- PC sales surge in Q1 2010: We could be looking at a record year
- 81.7 million units sold worldwide, up 26 percent
- 17.5 million units sold in US, up 18.6 percent
- Windows 7 Service Pack 1 leaks
- Nothing to see here, as previously promised
- Microsoft KIN launches
- Thoughts about Microsoft's new social phone
- Oh, and Palm is going under. Not because of KIN, but related news.
- Another reminder: End of support for Vista RTM this past week
- Plus other OSes expiring soon.
- Google Docs vs. Microsoft Office
- Come on, it's no contest
Windows 7 Feature of the Week: Readyboost
- eadyBoost first appeared in Windows Vista, providing users with a way to cheaply and easily improve the performance of their PCs by utilizing a USB memory key as a memory cache. In Windows 7, ReadyBoost is improved in numerous way: It supports multiple memory devices, can work with USB memory keys, Secure Digital (SD) memory cards, and other internal flash devices, and supports over 4 GB of storage.
Windows 7 Tip of the Week: Understand your PC-to-PC sync options
- Windows 7 has an offline files feature that can be used to sync network-based files and folders to a PC for roaming access. This works OK, but there are better options for home users.
- There's a lot more that could be discussed around sync ... Bookmarks/favorites sync and so on
- Some follow-ups to last week's tip:
- Individuals can save 25 percent on TechNet Plus subscriptions too. Here's how.
- Very small businesses (10 or fewer employees) can get free* copies of Windows Web Server Edition and SQL Server Web Edition through WebSiteSpark
- Startups can get an amazing range of free* Microsoft software as well as support through BizSpark - Development tools (Visual Studio/Expression Studio), platforms (Windows Server, SQL Server, Office SharePoint Server, System Center servers, more), and production licenses
- Thanks to Ola Johansson for the tip on those last two
- Bonus tip: Free Starbucks coffee today only
- "On Thursday, April 15, the company will reward customers who bring a reusable tumbler into participating stores with a complimentary brewed coffee."
- Thanks to Jeff S. for the tip.
Software Pick of the Week
- Graphic.ly - Excellent comic book platform for Windows 7, AIR and (soon) the web
- Visual Studio 2010
- Link URL and optional brief description
- ad times: 1:05-1:12 and 1:15:55-1:21:17
| The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson (UNABRIDGED)|
Narrated by Scott Brick
- G2MyPC #9
- ad times: 0:34-0:49 and 11:07-13:14
- Carbonite.com and enter offer code windows weekly (Space is required!)
- Carbonite #2
- ad times: 0:50-1:04 and 1:11:33-1:14:03
- Edited by:
|This area is for use by TWiT staff only. Please do not add or edit any content within this section.|