Windows Weekly 157
From The Official TWiT Wiki
Recorded: May 19, 2010
Published: May 20, 2010
- Embedded in Redmond
- My week in the belly of the beast (literally)
- Hands on with the KIN ... And a little bit about Windows Phone 7
- The New Hotmail
- Microsoft unveils the next version of its Hotmail webmail service. Due in mid-to-late June
- Slightly modified new UI (more Gmail like), filtering (Quick Views and mailbox filters), conversation view (optional, unlike Gmail), integrated Messenger, major photo/Office document sharing improvements (10 GB per email, 200 docs/photos per email, each up to 50 MB big; hosted on SkyDrive), Active Views.
- The best bit: They're adding Exchange ActiveSync support for mobile devices (finally). There's also a new mobile site for email/calendar that works on iPhone/Android/etc.
- This is the beginning of the Windows Live Wave 4 stuff.
- No huge surprise here: Office Live Workspace accounts moving to Office Web Apps this year
- Smart phone Q1 2010 sales
- 1 - Symbian, 24m units sold, 44 percent market share, down 5.5 percentage points
- 2 - RIM, 10.5m units, 19.4, down 2
- 3 - Apple, 15.4m units, up 5
- 4 - Android, 9.6m units, up 8 (up 707 percent in NA!)
- 5 - Windows Mobile, 6.8m units, down 3.4
- Notes: 54m smart phones sold in first quarter, up 49 percent (PCs are selling 1m a day/90m quarter)
- Last year, iPhone and WM were neck and neck at 10.5/10.2 percent
- Android expected to surpass Apple by end of year, early 2011
Windows 7 Feature of the Week: Windows Experience Index
- My PC goes to 11
- Started in Vista, used to rate overall PC performance on a scale of 1 to 5.9; now goes to 7.9 
- Ostensibly used to ensure that certain applications (especially games) will run properly but it's really just a way for support people to quickly gauge potential system bottlenecks.
Windows 7 Tip of the Week: Map SkyDrive to Windows Explorer without Microsoft Office
- A number of readers have written in with tips about mapping SkyDrive folders to Windows Explorer without using Microsoft Office 2010. There's even a utility to make this easier. 
Software Pick of the Week
- Aqua Snap - An Aero Snap extension with some other interesting features too
- Thanks to Victor Sacco for the tip!
- Tiny Spell - "Occasionally you need to check spelling in an application that does not include a spelling checker and you don't want to launch your word processor just for that. This is when tinySpell becomes handy. It is a small utility that allows you to easily and quickly check and correct the spelling in any Windows application."
- Thanks to Dan Gardner for the tip!
- Link URL and optional brief description
- ad times: 1:06-1:13 and 59:04-1:05:15
| The Post-American World by Fareed Zakaria (UNABRIDGED)|
Narrated by Fareed Zakaria
| The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi (UNABRIDGED)|
Narrated by Jonathan Davis, Paolo Bacigalupi
- ad times: 0:34-0:48 and 25:37-27:25
- Carbonite.com offer code WindowsWeekly
- Carb #2
- ad times: 0:50-1:05 and 44:56-48:13
- Edited by: Tony
|This area is for use by TWiT staff only. Please do not add or edit any content within this section.|