Windows Weekly 160
From The Official TWiT Wiki
Recorded: June 9, 2010
Published: June 11, 2010
- TechEd 2010. A look at the important tech industry trade show that happened this week.
- Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7 SP1 - big features for server, nothing really for Windows 7
- Microsoft's hybrid cloud approach is more flexible than the competition
- Windows Phone 7 news
- Pushing the business case
- Changes in the app store policies
- Still a bit easy to criticize because they're trying to nail core experiences, but will be missing some functionality
- Office Web Apps are live on SkyDrive for everyone
- Note, however, that the new Hotmail hasn't launched yet, so those integration pieces aren't present
- Apple WWDC: iPhone 4
- Looks good, great screen
- Apple caught up in a couple of lies
- Glad to see people finally seeing this stuff
- Not sure if this is enough to counter the Android onslaught
- A bit concerned that styling may quickly be seen as dated
Windows 7 Feature of the Week: User Account Control
- While much reviled by certain users, the User Account Control (UAC) feature that debuted in Windows Vista played a huge role in making that system the most secure Windows version yet. In Windows 7, UAC is extensively updated to be less annoying, and the overall system has been fine-tuned to minimize the number of UAC prompts that interrupt users.
Windows 7 Tip of the Week: Make the Taskbar yours
- Remember that you can pin/unpin whatever shortcuts you want to the taskbar, order them as you wish, change the order and display of mini-icons in the notification area, and customize the display of taskbar buttons to suit your own needs and wants.
- Also: Last week's Get Free Internet TV with Windows Media Center tip doesn't apply to all locales. Sorry about that.
Software Pick of the Week
- Link URL and optional brief description
- ad times: 1:09-1:16 and 1:12:20-1:18:01
| With the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa by E. B. Sledge (UNABRIDGED)|
Narrated by George Wilson
| The Facebook Effect: The Inside Story of the Company That Is Connecting the World by David Kirkpatrick (UNABRIDGED)|
Narrated by David Kirkpatrick
- G2AX #3
- ad times: 0:34-0:49 and 54:04-56:11
- Drobo #6
- ad times: 0:51-1:07 and 11:45-15:32
- Edited by: Tony
- Notes: Paul's laptop was on a pile of laundry.
|This area is for use by TWiT staff only. Please do not add or edit any content within this section.|