Windows Weekly 165
From The Official TWiT Wiki
Recorded: July 15, 2010
Published: July 16, 2010
- 1 Topics
- 2 Windows 7 Feature of the Week: Startup Repair
- 3 Windows 7 Tip of the Week: Get a free power efficiency diagnostics report for your PC
- 4 Software Pick of the Week
- 5 Notable Quotes
- 6 Significant Products
- 7 Sponsors
- 8 Production Information
- Windows Phone update
- New developer tools
- Microsoft exec confirms October release date
- Microsoft announces new connected services, including Windows Phone Live
- Windows 7 Service Pack 1 Beta is out
- Again, no new features. Big deal for Server, however
- Related: Microsoft says, seriously, we're doing Slate PCs. Eventually.
- Windows Small Business "Aurora"
- This is basically Windows Home Server with domains. It's a big deal.
- Windows InTune Beta 2 it out
- There are now 10,000 more beta invitations available. Get it while you can.
- Pricing announced: $11 per PC per month. But it includes a license for Windows 7 Enterprise
- Intel announces record quarterly revenues
- PC, netbook, and server chips sales all up - 370 million sold PCs in the 12 months, Intel says Related: Gartner releases PC market share numbers for Q2 2010. 82.8 million PCs sold worldwide, up 21 percent. Top five are HP, Acer, Dell, Lenovo and ASUS. (Toshiba is number 6.) Growth rates are phenomenal across the board. In the US, 17.9 million PCs shipped, up 16 percent.
- iPhone apocalypse
- Can Apple do anything right? Consumer Reports basically says Apple is lying, that iPhone 4 is flawed
Windows 7 Feature of the Week: Startup Repair
- While this useful tool did debut with Windows Vista, it wasn't installed on PCs by default. In Windows 7, it is installed into the OS partition automatically and appears automatically when the system can't boot properly, fixing any problems and returning the system to its normal booting state. You can also trigger it (and other recovery tools) manually: Tap F8 between BIOS screen and "Starting Windows" and choose Startup Repair from the menu that appears. Eventually, System Recovery Options will load. Logon as a local user to access the menu, which includes Startup Repair, System Restore, System Image Recovery, Windows Memory Diagnostic, and Command Prompt. Startup Repair is automatic: It will search for problems and fix them automatically. This includes identifying which bootable versions of Windows exist on the PC and whether they're accessible to the boot loader, checking the system disk, checking for disk failures, and much more. It won't exit out without ensuring that the OS can boot successfully.
Windows 7 Tip of the Week: Get a free power efficiency diagnostics report for your PC
- From an admin-level command prompt, run powercfg -energy -output c:\energy_report.html to cause a hidden tool in Windows 7 to examine the energy efficiency of your PC and provide a report with errors ("The computer is not configured to automatically sleep after a period of inactivity"), warnings ("The current power policy for 802.11-compatible wireless network adapters is not configured to use low-power modes") and other information about your PC's use (or abuse ) of power and power management technologies. You can use this information and an understanding of the OS's Power Options functionality to make your PC more energy efficient.
Software Pick of the Week
- Oracle VM VirtualBox 3.2.6 - The latest versions of VirtualBox are branded with Oracle's name, but now also support Mac OS X guests, including both Server and client versions (with some hacking required, search online). This is still the best free client virtualization solution for Windows.
- Also: Mobile developers should check out the latest Windows Phone developers tools beta.
- Link URL and optional brief description
- ad times: 1:06-1:13 and 59:19-1:05:45
| Predictably Irrational: The Hidden Forces That Shape Our Decisions by Dan Ariely (UNABRIDGED)|
Narrated by Simon Jones
- G2AX #8
- ad times: 0:34-0:51 and 26:02-28:31
- CarbonitePro.com - no other code or promo
- CarbPro #2
- ad times: 0:52-1:04 and 48:59-50:48
- Edited by: wang
|This area is for use by TWiT staff only. Please do not add or edit any content within this section.|