Windows Weekly 173
From The Official TWiT Wiki
Recorded: September 9, 2010
Published: September 9, 2010
- Just Say No?
- Apple is openly antagonistic to Windows users. Is it time to look elsewhere?
- Trigger point: iTunes 10, but this has been building for a while
- The only alternative to most/all of the i-ecosystem is Microsoft, and even that has its own issues
- Rumors of an international Zune Pass launch
- Google Instant Search
- Brilliant? Or further signs of the "dumbening"?
- Microsoft shuts down major botnet
- Invites criminals to show up in court to contest it
- Mark Hurd and Oracle vs. HP
- Hurd joins Oracle, is sued by HP for trade secrets violations
- Digital Media Core: H.264
- 3 years ago, it wasn't clear that H.264 was the obvious choice. Now it is clear.
- live chat room Q&A
Windows 7 Feature of the Week: View Available Networks
- Windows 7 includes a new Jump List-like utility for finding and connecting to Wi-Fi, mobile broadband, dial-up, and VPN connections. Unlike the similar UI in Windows Vista, this utility, called View Available Networks, does not require you to navigate through a series of dialogs and windows.
Windows 7 Tip of the Week: More fun with keyboard shortcuts
- A favorite, from email: If you select any item in an explorer pane which is in details view or any item in a listview type control in s desktop application and then press ctrl+"numpad +" the columns will automatically resize. Thanks to Stephen Lambie for the tip.
Tip of the Week
- Description of the tip and if available a link where detailed information about it can be found.
Software Pick of the Week
- VLC Media Player - We've had this one on before, but as part of my anti-iTunes jihad, here's a media player that does everything QuickTime Player/iTunes does (from a media playback standpoint), including being compatible with H.264/soft captioning.
- Also http://howsecureismypassword.net
- Thanks to Shawn Kurschner
- Link URL and optional brief description
- G2M #9
- ad times: 0:37-0:50 and 39:20-41:54
- Edited by: Tony
|This area is for use by TWiT staff only. Please do not add or edit any content within this section.|