Windows Weekly 191
From The Official TWiT Wiki
Recorded: January 13, 2011
Published: January 14, 2011
- One too many emails about Leo trying to give away Samsung Focus at CES
- I am here if you need an intervention.
- PC sales for Q4 2010 and CY 2010
- As expected: Approximately 350 million PCs sold, up from 300 million in 2009. 13.7 percent growth, higher than expected. Consumer sales slowed towards end of year, IDC and Gartner blame iPad. I can disprove that, but there is no doubt iPad will impact the PC in 2011, so the point is moot. Mac sales strong, but corporate PC sales stronger: Apple fell from 4th to 5th place in the US in Q4.
- Microsoft's Windows Everywhere Strategy is wrong
- And I'm the Windows guy. Oh, and Ballmer just marked his 11th anniversary as CEO today. Let's celebrate!
- Waiting on video game sales for Q4 2010 and CY 2010 (Coming Thursday night)
- 2010 retail numbers are expected to show their second consecutive decline, a first for video games. Best case: Flat sales.
- Nintendo says it sold 7m Wii consoles in 2010, best ever
- Microsoft says it sold out of 360 in late December, suggesting a sales shortfall excuse
- Silence from Sony so far
- Plus: Some interesting worldwide hardware totals: Wii (84.7m), 360 (51.2m), PS3 (46.2m)
- Microsoft's latest "screw you" to WHS users, and then a last-minute reprieve
- I'm losing faith here.
- Windows Phone news:
- Microsoft investigating 3G data leakage issue. A possible reason/solution.
- And ... Some thoughts about Verizon/Sprint availability of Windows Phone, possibly not good news
- iPhone 4 on Verizon Wireless
- Stop the insanity. This is not a slam dunk.
- Microsoft vs. Apple on App Store (attempted) trademark
- Microsoft 1, Apple 0.
- Bob Muglia ousted at Microsoft
- The executive exodus continues. Will the last one left please turn over the tech industry to Apple?
- News tidbits:
- An interim fix for IE vulnerability
- Google and H.264 (and a nice mocking Microsoft comeback)
- Live Q and A (time permitting)
Windows Phone App of the Week: Amazon Kindle
- Best-ever version of Amazon's wonderful Kindle app.
- Also: TWiT app has been updated to version 1.4, so please update. This adds some user requested features and bug fixes.
Software Pick of the Week
- Angry Birds for the PC - $4.99, install on up to 5 PCs. The bad news: To get it, you have to install the Intel AppUp software first. It's worth it.
- Link URL and optional brief description
- Carbonite.com offer code windows
- ad times: 0:34-0:46 and 27:04-29:03
- Squarespace.com/windows offer code windows
- ad times: 0:49-1:03 and 43:17-46:06
- ad times: 1:06-1:25 and 1:03:03-1:05:28
- Edited by: Tony
|This area is for use by TWiT staff only. Please do not add or edit any content within this section.|