Windows Weekly 233
From The Official TWiT Wiki
Recorded: November 3, 2011
Published: November 3, 2011
- Nokia and the US: Coming in 2012
- Windows Phone handsets on "multiple carriers" in 2012, Elop says.
- Carrier announcements for Samsung and HTC Mango phones starting to happen. Monday the 7th in NYC: Mango event (mjf and paul will be there) -- what exactly is it?
- Nokia open to Windows 8 tablets! Hell, its netbook was a huge success, why not
- Let's talk about who actually might make Win8 tablets that matter in 2012: Like Asus (leaked roadmap for ARM stuff), HP (jury's still out), Dell
- Internet Explorer Usage Share Drops Below 50%
- MJF: Does this really matter or doesn't it? Newest data from Net Applications: http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2011/11/the-end-of-an-era-internet-explorer-drops-below-50-percent-of-web-usage.ars
- MJF: Did you know Desktop browsing is still 94% in terms of usage share (despite the rise of tablets and phones)
- Microsoft (Sort of) Spells Out Android Patent Issues
- Android is "standing on the shoulders" of others, Microsoft says
- Put simply, Google is stealing patented technologies
- MS' position is mutually assured destruction is the way it has always been and they way it always should and will be
- Kinect and Windows, Sitting in a Tree...
- Also coming in early 2012. Will this be a core feature of Windows 8? I bet we find out at CES.
- Are there any real business opportunities for Kinect? Healthcare? Shopping? Manufacturing?
- And why Microsoft's promo video isn't just science fiction, but is in fact ludicrous
- Plus: Apple's TV plans involve ... Voice control? But Kinect already has that
- Shocker: Microsoft chose Windows 8 over Courier
- Yes, it's "ancient history." But this Courier tale tells a lot about political infighting and whether MS can break free of the core Office franchise
- Not sure what the fuss is all about, Courier was vaporware, yet another platform, and was never going to sell well anyway.
- Will startup Tapose (funded and backed by J Allard) make Courier fans happy?
- Rumor: Next Xbox will be announced at CES 2012
- Codenamed TEN, is all about Metro, embedded Silverlight and an Apple-like integration with Windows and Windows Phone
- The dashboard preview is supposedly this week (tomorrow?) and will include the Bing search integration, Live TV hooks and more
Software Pick of the Week: Microsoft Office 365 Integration Module for Small Business Server 2011 Essentials Beta
- A beta version of a long-awaited add-in that lets you integrate Office 365 with Windows SBS Essentials.
Software Pick of the Week #2: Facebook for Windows Phone
- Facebook for Windows Phone received a major update last week
Enterprise Pick of the Week: SQL Server 2012 -- with a brand new BI SKU
- There's a new BI SKU -- and new core pricing option -- coming in early 2012 with SQL Server 2012
Codename Pick of the Week: Vancouver
- How to add social data to your business app via Azure -- "Social Analytics" is out in preview form as of last week and ready for testers to check out
- Link URL and optional brief description
- Audible URL
| TBD by TBD (ABRIDGED/UNABRIDGED)|
Narrated by TBD
- Link URL
- Edited by:
|This area is for use by TWiT staff only. Please do not add or edit any content within this section.|