Windows Weekly 234
From The Official TWiT Wiki
Recorded: November 10, 2011
Published: November 10, 2011
- 1 Topics
- 2 Software Pick of the Week: ChevronWP7 Labs for Windows Phone
- 3 Software Pick of the Week #2: Spotify for Windows Phone
- 4 Enterprise Pick of the Week: Commerce Server. (does MS still make that? Sort of)
- 5 Codename Pick of the Week: Montego: Data Explorer
- 6 Notable Quotes
- 7 Significant Products
- 8 Sponsors
- 9 Production Information
- Windows Phone 7.5 US retail launch
- Samsung Focus S and Focus Flash now available on AT&T; HTC Radar on T-Mobile. HTC Titan now due out Nov. 20 on AT&T, but no word on Verizon or Sprint, though Verizon is definitely happening.
- No Nokia news. But Paul's sources say that Nokia will launch in US at CES in January with immediately availability.
- But ... Do any of these phones have what it takes to compete with Android or iPhone?
- Plus: Microsoft snags Samsung exec for Windows Phone division. Why that's ironic and a bad sign.
- More Windows Phone: What will it mean to use Windows 8 inside Windows Phone 8?
- The Apollo rumors continue, and continue to indicate that MS is going to replace the Embedded Compact core with MinWin 
- Still More Windows Phone: Looking out for the new brand of Windows Phone Criticism
- Now that Windows Phone has caught up, its critics--and Apple fans--have a new way of criticizing this platform. And it's really, really strange.
- Barnes & Noble wants DOJ investigation of MS over Android patents
- Microsoft says that patents are necessary and work. Google says they inhibit innovation. And B&N says MS is behaving anticompetitively (um, ok... odd argument, but...)
- Silverlight and Flash: Our strategies have shifted
- Word is MS is going to launch Silverlight 5, and maybe a 5.1 -- then that's it
- Adobe is discontinuing attempts to make Flash work in mobile browsers (but is staying the course in PCs)
- Did Apple really win this round -- in both cases? Yep.
- IE 10: Spell checking and auto-correct are coming, you long-suffering IE users! 
- MS says spell checking will be in all versions of IE 10 -- IE 10 Metro and Desktop on Win 8, and also IE 10 on WIn 7
- Still no update to IE 10 platform preview 2 on Win 7... by the way
- IE 10? When does that hit, 2020?
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 arrives!
- Paul: *Awesome*
- MJF: ZZZZZ
- Paul: We'll get you yet!
- MJF: No you won't! :)
Software Pick of the Week: ChevronWP7 Labs for Windows Phone
- Cheap unlocker from Chevron folks lets you test your own apps on a real phone or run homebrew apps.
Software Pick of the Week #2: Spotify for Windows Phone
- One of the biggest music subscription services finally comes to Windows Phone
Enterprise Pick of the Week: Commerce Server. (does MS still make that? Sort of)
Codename Pick of the Week: Montego: Data Explorer
- Link URL and optional brief description
- Audible URL
| TBD by TBD (ABRIDGED/UNABRIDGED)|
Narrated by TBD
- Link URL
- Edited by:
|This area is for use by TWiT staff only. Please do not add or edit any content within this section.|